GardenRant welcomes “guest ranters” who want to take over our little piece of cyberspace for the day. Whether you’re in the plant industry or just an ordinary gardener with an axe to grind, you’re invited. Because GardenRant is read by garden writers, editors, publishers, and other garden bloggers, it’s a great way to get your story out to gardeners, communicators, and industry insiders.
Here’s how it works:
1. Get in touch with one of us through the About Us page. Just follow the links.
2. Let us know what’s on your mind.
3. Once we work out the details, we’ll pick a day for you to post.
4. Send us your post as a Word document or in the body of an email. Be sure to include photos and links to websites if you have them.
5. You might want to check GardenRant throughout the day your post is up and respond to readers in the comments.
Isn’t that simple? Well, there are a few more things you might want to know.
What, exactly, is a guest rant?
First, it’s short. 400 words is plenty.
Second, it’s highly opinionated. Take a position on an issue, pro or con. Rant or rave, just have a point of view. Be unguarded and informal. Tell it like it is.
Third, it’s interesting. Well, that goes without saying. But seriously, tell us an interesting, behind-the-scenes story. Surprise us. Get people talking. Because if you get them talking, they’ll go away and continue the conversation on their own blogs, and that helps spread the word.
Did we mention that it should be interesting and personal and off-the-cuff and fun? Seriously, no PR talk, and no how-to. Pretend you’re e-mailing a highly amusing tale to some friends. Now pretend we’re your friends. See how easy that is?