Connect with Allen Bush on:
Social Media Websites:allenwbush http://www.facebook.com/allen.bush
Posts by Allen Bush:
- The Little Greenhouse That Could
- The Best Seed Company in the World
- Perennial Royalty: It’s Inbred
- A Glimpse of a Lunatic’s Garden
- Waiting for Camus
- Ask Your Budtender First
- Dennis the Menace
- In Praise of a Plant That Needs Your Love
- The Pin Oak vs. Statues of Dead White Men
- Perennially Yours: Steve Still
- The Garden and Nursery Boat
- A Gardening Education: Alberta and Omer
- Take the Sting Out with Nutritious Nettles
- The Mysterious Case of the Orange Petunia
- Always Dreaming
- The Run from the Roses
- Pollen, Politics and Doomsday Prep
- The One and Only Poison Ivy Horticulturist
- Ark Encounter Stalled in Dry Dock
- The Fantabulous Tomato Sandwiches of Ralph Haas and Sarah Owens
Allen Bush has been with Jelitto Perennial Seeds since 1995 and currently serves as Director of Special Projects. Jelitto offers nearly 3,000 varieties of perennial flower and ornamental grass seeds. The company principally serves wholesale producers but sells over the Internet to home gardeners. Allen provides public relations and searches for potential new varieties around the world.
Allen received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Kentucky in 1973 and was an International Trainee at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England 1978-1979.
From 1980 to 1995 Allen was the owner of Holbrook Farm and Nursery, Fletcher, NC, a national mail order nursery that offered perennials, wildflowers and rare trees and shrubs. Allen introduced Stokesia ‘Klaus Jelitto’ and the sweetshrub, Calycanthus ‘Michael Lindsey’ to the U.S. market. The Royal Horticultural Society awarded the Award of Garden Merit (A.G.M.) to Heuchera ‘Molly Bush’ in 2002.
Allen was honored by the Perennial Plant Association with its Award of Merit in 2011. He serves on the board of the Olmsted Parks Conservancy in Louisville, Kentucky and has been a contributor to the Human Flower Project since 2008.
Allen gardens with his wife, Rose Cooper, who is sometimes known as Rose Bush.