Connect with Allen Bush on:
Social Media Websites:allenwbush http://www.facebook.com/allen.bush
Posts by Allen Bush:
- Sweet Land of Liberty, from Salvisa to Sanibel
- Beauty and the Beasts
- The Heart and Sole(s) of Horticulture
- Robinson Crusoe’s Ten Favorite Perennials
- Dying on the Vine? Part I
- Rufus and the Pretend Prairie
- A Plea for Trees
- My Tiny Oak Forest
- Aunt Rose’s Garden
- Kentucky’s Ark Encounter Stalled in Dry Dock
- Are You Afraid of Gardens and Nature?
- The Season’s Last Hurrah and a Surprising New Beginning
- The Fantabulous Tomato Sandwiches of Ralph Haas and Sarah Owens
- What Part of GMO Don’t You Understand?
- Norma’s Collectables and Cactus
- Sit a Spell. It’s Not as Easy as You Think.
- The Discovery of Daylily World
- The Greatest of All Time and the Meadow
- A Gardener’s Day Off: Eenie, Meenie and Rubinstein
- God, Guns and Gardens
Allen Bush has been with Jelitto Perennial Seeds since 1995 and currently serves as Director of Special Projects. Jelitto offers nearly 3,000 varieties of perennial flower and ornamental grass seeds. The company principally serves wholesale producers but sells over the Internet to home gardeners. Allen provides public relations and searches for potential new varieties around the world.
Allen received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Kentucky in 1973 and was an International Trainee at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England 1978-1979.
From 1980 to 1995 Allen was the owner of Holbrook Farm and Nursery, Fletcher, NC, a national mail order nursery that offered perennials, wildflowers and rare trees and shrubs. Allen introduced Stokesia ‘Klaus Jelitto’ and the sweetshrub, Calycanthus ‘Michael Lindsey’ to the U.S. market. The Royal Horticultural Society awarded the Award of Garden Merit (A.G.M.) to Heuchera ‘Molly Bush’ in 2002.
Allen was honored by the Perennial Plant Association with its Award of Merit in 2011. He serves on the board of the Olmsted Parks Conservancy in Louisville, Kentucky and has been a contributor to the Human Flower Project since 2008.
Allen gardens with his wife, Rose Cooper, who is sometimes known as Rose Bush.