Connect with Allen Bush on:
Social Media Websites:http://www.facebook.com/allen.bush http://www.linkedin.com/pub/allen-bush/24/759/6b6
Posts by Allen Bush:
- Trashing Out with Kudzu and ‘Sherman’s Ghost’
- Sins of My Lawn: Putt-Putt at Machu Picchu
- Driving Alaska with My Three Miss Daisies
- Where’s the Wow? The Green Industry Takes Stock.
- More Foreign Invaders: Possums on the Half Shell
- Free Spirit Nursery: Landscapes, Laughs and Love
- Lover of Life: My Tribute to Kurt Bluemel
- Kentucky King of Taros
- Death Valley Days and the Discovery of Two New Plant Species
- Through the Hand Lens: Pat Haragan’s Steady View
- *Fate Loves the Fearless: The Perennial Divine
- The Runaway Monk
- The Joy of Giving: To Seek and to Share a Little Crab Apple
- My Life With George Bush, Gardener
- For Goodness Sake: The Future in Blue Corduroy
- Surprise Me With Grits and Weeds For the Sweet Hereafter
- A Tale of Two Gardens
- Weeds of Affection and Perpetual Annoyance
- How Flora Grubb and an Airport DJ Saved My Soul
- See the Documentary “Wonder: The Lives of Anna and Harlan Hubbard” if You Can
Allen Bush has been with Jelitto Perennial Seeds since 1995 and currently serves as Director of Special Projects. Jelitto offers nearly 3,000 varieties of perennial flower and ornamental grass seeds. The company principally serves wholesale producers but sells over the Internet to home gardeners. Allen provides public relations and searches for potential new varieties around the world.
Allen received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Kentucky in 1973 and was an International Trainee at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England 1978-1979.
From 1980 to 1995 Allen was the owner of Holbrook Farm and Nursery, Fletcher, NC, a national mail order nursery that offered perennials, wildflowers and rare trees and shrubs. Allen introduced Stokesia ‘Klaus Jelitto’ and the sweetshrub, Calycanthus ‘Michael Lindsey’ to the U.S. market. The Royal Horticultural Society awarded the Award of Garden Merit (A.G.M.) to Heuchera ‘Molly Bush’ in 2002.
Allen was honored by the Perennial Plant Association with its Award of Merit in 2011. He serves on the board of the Olmsted Parks Conservancy in Louisville, Kentucky and has been a contributor to the Human Flower Project since 2008.
Allen gardens with his wife, Rose Cooper, who is sometimes known as Rose Bush.