What's Happening

Are Images of Gardeners in the Media Finally Improving?

Gardeners in the play “Native Gardens”

My recent rant about stereotypes of gardeners in a new play got me thinking about the images of gardeners used in advertising and elsewhere. The garden-club-competing gardeners in the play typify the demographic so often used to portray us – white and elderly.

More of the same can be found by searching “gardener” at istockphoto, where these images of older women especially bug me because they convey the surprising (to all real gardeners) impression that gardening is about fussing over flowers. You and I know that gardening requires hard work – digging, hauling, and wrestling branches with pruning tools.

Thankfully, iStock’s offerings include more diversity than just older white women.

On Google image there are plenty of young people and quite a bit of pruning going on.

Searching “gardener” on Shutterstock yields mostly super-fake images of gardens and just a few actual people, most of them young.

Pexel’s gardener images are even stranger, starting with their three top results: woman with lavender, man with monstrous leaf-blower, and a green ball.

With that bit of research, I realize that representations of gardeners as old white people snipping flowers can’t be blamed on stock photo companies, because they DO offer other choices.

The good news is the arrival of an real alternative – Boys with Plants on Instagram! Whether they’re gardeners or not, who cares?

Posted by on November 3, 2017 at 8:55 am, in the category What's Happening.
9 Comments

9 responses to “Are Images of Gardeners in the Media Finally Improving?”

1. Mary says:

Some of my favorite people are old and white. 😉

2. Mary Apodaca says:

You’re right, Mary.

Just another example of people dissing FLOWERS.

PS: I’m old and getting whiter — and less flowerly — as I work in my shady North Florida yard.

3. Boys with plants? really looks more like gay guys and their plants. Where are the hot babes with bromeliads? or my category old fat hairy bald white guy with garden spade?

4. val says:

My favorite depiction of a gardener on tv right now is Nova on Queen Sugar. Several scenes have taken place in her backyard garden in the 9th ward of New Orleans, where she grows vegetables, ornamentals, and medicinal herbs. It is so subtle, I had not given it much thought until I saw your post.

5. Joe Schmitt says:

Did you mean boys without plants?

6. Joe Schmitt says:

Dagnabbit. ….without pants.

7. marcia says:

years ago, there was a British comedy on PBS called “the goode neighbors” very funny!

8. sarah says:

Wow, you got some interesting responses. I thought it was a fun post! Hadn’t really thought about what “images” are out there for generic use.

9. Valeria Vincent Sancisi5BKP says:

When people find out I am a professioal / gardener designer at a party..their eyes light up and often say they wished they could do this as a job, then as conversatio goes on, I am realizing they think my job is akin to tip toeing through the tulips and have no idea of the hard work.. that being said that blower on a hunky guy pic represents a fresher view of gardening -that is pretty clueless.. as far as gardening .. most blowers are used by ‘mow and blow outfits’ .. housecleaners for the outside.. that is not gardening. And most blowers are outlawed but its never enforced .. besides real gardeners rake… 🙂