Who's Ranting About Us

A Fond Farewell to Evelyn Hadden

ev

After three years as a regular GardenRanter, Evelyn Hadden has retired from blogging to concentrate on her music. Her last post was in October but in hopes that she’d change her mind, none of us announced it, or thanked her for her many wonderful posts, which we know readers will miss. But it’s time.

I recently browsed through her posts for the Rant and all that great writing and photography from a nature-loving perspective just made me feel worse about her leaving. Here are some quick thoughts about what I saw in my review.

ev's garden

I’ll miss seeing her garden, a full year younger than my new garden and already better established (damn!). She taught me that it’s possible, after just three years in a new garden, to show off its “grandplants” and already be winnowing out the extras. My garden?  As if.

ev and nature

ev's birdShe covered nature, not just gardening.

She was serious about conveying lots of important information, and about conveying it accurately -about topics like food forests, ways to use fallen leaves, gardening practices that hurt bees, and lots more. She did the research and got her facts right.

She covered environmental topics without a hint of blaming or judging, using a positive, inviting approach instead.

She used great titles, like “A Satisfying Stack of Stones” and calling gardening a “Long Conversation with Nature.”

ev haiku2

She encouraged introspection, reflection (on death in the garden, for instance) and the writing of garden haikus.

ev winnowing

I know readers will miss Evelyn’s photographs, too. But what readers don’t know is what a great partner-in-Ranting Evelyn has been during her too-few years with us.

Turning momentarily to Evelyn’s departure in the context of her life, I’m happy for her song-writing and performing talents and wish her well. Of course! But back to being selfish, I still hope she’ll get the garden-writing bug again someday and come back home to the Rant. We’ll always have a spot for her.

Posted by on January 27, 2017 at 7:26 am, in the category Who's Ranting About Us.

11 responses to “A Fond Farewell to Evelyn Hadden”

1. Cindy Booth says:

The very best to Evelyn. She will be missed here.

2. Evelyn’s words and education for us all on every platform are with us forever. I so admire someone who’s got the bravery to head to new roots!

3. Jessice says:

Nice photos indeed.

4. Erika says:

Yes can’t she do a “guest” appearance once in awhile?!

5. Lynn says:

A wonderful article, Susan, that introduced me to a fine garden writer. I thoroughly enjoyed following through all of the links to Evelyn’s writings and am only sorry that I am just discovering her as she is leaving.

6. Pam/Digging says:

Seasons change, not only in our gardens but in our life interests. I’ll miss Evelyn’s garden writings but wish her all the best with her music. Good luck and best wishes, Evelyn!

7. Marte says:

I will miss your posts, Evelyn, but wish you all the best with your music. I know how talented you are.

8. kermit says:

Bon voyage, Evelyn.

9. Laura Munoz says:

I’m sad to see her go. I hope her musical endeavors are successful.

10. anne says:

What bittersweet news! Of course I wish her all the best with her next step, but I will miss her posts! Perhaps she’ll pop in once in a while with a guest rant (please)?

11. Dear Susan,

What a sweet, humbling sendoff. I so appreciate your kind words.

It’s been a fun and fulfilling experience Ranting with you and Elizabeth, Allen, and Tom. There’s so much room for creativity as a writer here at GardenRant, for following any topic or medium that happens to interest us that is at all related to gardening — which I view as carte blanche since gardening touches on every other facet of life!

I have also learned a lot from Rant readers. Thank you all for your comments, encouragement, and questions. The conversational nature of blogs adds so much to the experience of blogging. It’s wonderful to have that virtual community.

Best of wishes to you all. May you find joy and peace in your gardens.
    Evelyn Hadden