Real Gardens

Canada, o Canada

This is part 1 of my garden-related thoughts on Inauguration Day.

best deck view

The view from Linda’s deck, for crissakes.

If, like millions, you’ve been pining for Trudeau-led Canada, picture this. It’s my friend Linda’s new home on Salt Spring Island near Vancouver, and a view from her deck. She moved there last summer (prescient!) after a two-year legal process and decades of living in a lovely DC neighborhood. Now with this view, a lively community of artsy people, and universal health care, it looks to me like she’s found her bliss.

20160714_101643-001

ssi

The island’s tourism website grabs you with this opening page photo and cruelly asks, “When can you get here?” I’m afraid I missed that boat.

Here in DC it’ll be raining today, but not tomorrow for the Women’s March on Washington. Five of the marchers are arriving today from North Carolina to crash, college-dorm-style, in my tiny house. I’m focusing on them today.

Posted by on January 20, 2017 at 7:00 am, in the category Real Gardens.

7 responses to “Canada, o Canada”

1. Cindy Booth says:

Keep up the good work! Three teachers (who are avid gardeners, too) from Ohio crashed in a former student’s home in DC! March on!

2. Michele says:

What a great view? The house and the trees are so relaxing to look at

3. Laura says:

I joined the sister march in Toronto yesterday. It was a powerful thing to be part of. Organizers estimated 60,000 were in attendance. We’re with you!

4. anne says:

Love to hear this! My stepdaughter and her 11-year-old daughter flew from Oregon to DC last night to meet up with 4 of her college friends and their daughters to march. They marched in DC in 1988 too. It gives me hope! I would march in Portland, but I’m iced in here in the Columbia River Gorge.

5. Nice, but can she grow tomatoes?

6. Garden Rant Garden Rant says:

Totally. 3 college students and two parents, one of whom is my friend from college. We’ll be retelling our war stories from anti-war denominations back in our day.
    Susan

7. caley says:

Whoa! House party!? I didn’t know you were having a house party!