What's Happening

Marijuana, the Hottest Plant in Horticulture

61bhi13dwl-_sx356_bo1204203200_Have you noticed what’s on the shelves in the gardening section of what’s left of book stores? LOTS of new or newly updated guides to growing marijuana, medical or otherwise. The bookstore-challenged can search “marijuana horticulture” on Amazon and find over 400 titles!

Marijuana blogs are also hot, reporting on advocacy and regulatory issues, in addition to horticultural techniques. Two popular ones are The Weed Blog and the Growing Marijuana Blog.

pot-blog

(By the way, a little reading has informed me that “marijuana” is considered by some to be a racist term for “cannabis” – because using the Spanish word associates the drug with a minority group. Before the move to criminalize pot it was apparently referred to by the more neutral and scientific term.)

1nov-20161

The latest example of marijuana-mania is the news that Scotts Miracle-Gro is all in, to the tune of $400 million! From Forbes:

This spring Miracle-Gro took its pot plan on the road. It began selling a new line of hydroponics equipment and soils called Black Magic…in 141 Home Depot stores across Colorado and Washington (states where recreational pot is legal) and Michigan (where medical marijuana is legal). A bag of Black Magic costs $16, more than twice as much as typical potting soil. Vegetable growers may not notice much of a difference, and most wouldn’t bother paying the higher price. But one pound of cannabis is worth more than $2,000, meaning the calculus for growing weed is much different than it is for growing tomatoes. With that sort of math on his side, Chris predicts his division will someday be a billion-dollar business.

24315679922_ca30bc29a0_z

Scotts Miracle-Gro is now working with state governments to secure federal registrations that will indicate which pesticides can be used safely on cannabis. The ultimate plan: roll out a line of branded pesticides specifically designed for pot.

Hagedorn has not given up on growing his own marijuana, either. He is already looking into foreign markets like Israel, Canada and Jamaica, where Scotts might be able to legally set up labs to test its products and conduct cannabis research. Hagedorn’s most eye-opening idea: someday expanding the company’s research on genetics into cannabis to create GMO marijuana.

Rant readers may remember that I’m no fan of CEO Jim Hagedorn. By a long shot. So while I wasn’t surprised that he’s going where the profits are, I was taken aback by this biographical note about the guy (also from Forbes):

Hagedorn lived on radical communes, surrounded by guns and drugs. He and his gang of friends stole anything they wanted as their lives spiraled out of control. “Did I do drugs?” Hagedorn asks rhetorically. “I didn’t do heroin–I viewed heroin as a drug that poor addicts use–but when it came to hallucinogenics and speed and marijuana, cocaine. Hell, yes.”

Marijuana photo credit.

Posted by on November 4, 2016 at 8:35 am, in the category What's Happening.

12 responses to “Marijuana, the Hottest Plant in Horticulture”

1. And every time you turn around, the cover story on a professional grower mag is on growing cannabis. They are touting it as the hot crop for greenhouse growers.

2. Steve Howell says:

Pot is becoming the investment opportunity of the decade. Many people are making a bunch of money off of it.

You know it is going to get cheaper and cheaper as more and more states either make it legal or decriminalize it. Drug dealers are moving to other drugs.
    Unfortunately, Monsanto is getting into the marijuana market.

3. Laura Munoz says:

Louis CK knows what he speaks of. Never again.

4. Marcia says:

If time is money, it’s becoming cheaper to buy it from the bulk producers than to grow it yourself.

5. Martha says:

The other weekend I googled “DIY wooden planter with drainage” and all the hits were for home marijuana growing.

As far as a big money-making enterprise, wouldn’t the price drop once everyone can get it legally? I doubt that $2,000/pound rate will last long.

6. Christina Scheltema says:

This trend has led to a huge interest in gardening, especially in hydroponics. The irony is that in my town, the local hydroponic store reeks of pot smoke. I went shopping, quite innocently, looking for coco coir growing medium. I had to take my purchase out of my car almost immediately because it reeked and was stinking up my car. My car was smelling like a spilled bong – an odor I haven’t smelled since college, but one I will never forget.

7. Sandra Knauf says:

Hagedorn was a thief and cocaine user before he became a CEO? Wow, who would have guessed??? Too bad that he’s going to make products to put poison on pot–but then, there’s money there!

8. Marcia says:

It’s not hard to grow, but this is not your grandfather’s weed.

Also, to grow indoors, you pretty much have to grow indica, not sativa. Sativa was the stuff smoked during the classic rock days and will grow seven feet tall. Afghan indica is short in stature. Indica or hybrids of the two are what are usually grown indoors now unless one knows how to encourage sativa to grow shorter. Indica sedates and lessens pain (medical marijuana), but sativa enlivens and allows you to enjoy a four hour Grateful Dead concert.

Sometimes baby boomers are ending up in emergency rooms because indica is new to them or they consume too much (perhaps more than just one inhalation.)

Watch Louie C.K. describe his experience:

9. […] Marijuana, the Hottest Plant in Horticulture originally appeared on Garden Rant on November 4, 2016. […]

10. Bonnie groves poppe says:

Its a weed right? How hard can it be to grow?

11. marcia says:

I work at one of the afore mentioned Orange boxes. I was wondering why we dedicated an entire bay to the Black Magic products. Now the folks with their phony medicinal card won’t have to lie as much. Food for plants, indeed! Now if they can just find something to treat the spider mites. Oh, and stop stealing the Fiskers snips!

12. Fred says:

It’s hard to find an affordable growlight these days.