Shut Up and Dig

The HORROR (II)

Halloween could not be better timed in terms of horticultural nightmares for the Western New York gardener. It’s a wet, gray time; leaves are falling, perennial foliage is shriveling, and outdoor tasks are undertaken in an atmosphere of chilly reluctance. Welcome to my world of fright and despair.

Ugh

img_4867This is what they call fall interest.

Beware

img_4876I neglected to send the check to the Farmer Pirates, so this bucket’s been sitting with the same stuff in it for months now.

Bulbapalooza

img_4865Really? What was the thinking here?

Jungleland

img_4874Oh no. It won’t be a hassle keeping these alive through the winter.

Terror from above

leavesThey wait. Just in time to ruin Thanksgiving weekend, these trees will empty themselves, covering everything in a sodden mass.

What happened? It seems like only days ago, I had a relatively attractive exterior space, with a reasonable amount of color and scent. It was nice!

Boo, I say. Boo.

Posted by on October 31, 2016 at 10:21 am, in the category Shut Up and Dig.

6 responses to “The HORROR (II)”

1. Chris says:

I am looking out at the rain, and more rain. We had an incredibly wet October, but on the one sunny day I did spend the entire day getting the bulbs in. Though I suspect the alliums and species tulips I did last in the dry gravelly space between driveway and neighbor are not in deep enough holes. Oh, well.

My persimmon has covered part of my front yard with thick bright colored leaves and the rain has caused my glenora grapes to have not as bright fall foliage as before.

But just outside my kitchen sink window the pineapple sage is blooming, and being visited by humming birds.

2. marcia says:

I kind of see fall gardening like I see caring for an aging parent. Spring in the garden is like raising a child. Offer them healthy meals and water, a nice bed to sleep in and the little perennials pretty much grow up on their own. Take them for a “haircut” once in awhile and clean their “rooms” and they stay healthy and happy. (That’s good for me, because April through July is my insectivore nest box season.)

They may go through a midlife crisis in the summer. They complain about the heat, stop doing new things, stop branching out, start getting dry skin and age spots. Give them a cold drink , stay friends, and summer will fly by.

Mid-August to November comes along and the now elderly need a helping hand. This is gardening season for me. We don’t want our aging parents, I mean plants, to just fade away. No nursing homes. Keep them going at home. It’s adult day care time. Healthy meals and primping makes them want to show off how good they feel. Retirement will seem like Spring has sprung again. The shorter days trigger flowering plants to believe it’s OK to bloom. “You’re looking great. You’re how old? Wow,” say the neighbors.

Bring some new friends over , I mean, add new fall bloomers, new annuals. Make it a party and guess who shows up? Beautiful butterflies and buzzing bees. Pollinating moths will stay all night because they love what you’ve done with yourself. They will thank you for offering them great fare for their coming long winter journey.

For me, fall gardening IS my gardening.

Yep. I’m getting older. Some day in the future I may need a helping hand. If so, I hope to give back a little something that can make my helpers smile, too.

3. Claudia says:

And, it seems to come faster each year. The tomatoes look awful, the herbs have been bit…..I KNEW a frost was coming, didn’t move them in.
    My garden journal has notes just stuck in it willy nilly; it’s gonna take me three weeks to get that sorted.
    I love the term “bulbstice” ….. Tho spell check doesn’t.
    Oh, well, there is always next year.

4. hglaber says:

I call the point where I find all the bulbs I bought in September and ask “What was I thinking?” the annual autumn bulbstice. It’s the point after which there will almost certainly not be a single sunny, windless, rainless non-workday above 60 degrees until May.

5. Mary Doane says:

Thank you! It’s perfectly put – love the fall interest. Nice way to start the day, commiserating.

6. […] The HORROR (II) originally appeared on Garden Rant on October 31, 2016. […]