Unusually Clever People, What's Happening

My Favorite Flower Show

Celesta McComas at the Salvisa, Kentucky post office

Celesta McComas at the Salvisa, Kentucky post office

We got tipped-off about Celesta McComas’s flower show last year at Thanksgiving dinner. My wife Rose told Bobbie Ann Mason that we lived, part-time, in Salvisa, KY. Bobbie Ann lives a few miles away in Lawrenceburg. Clearly suffering from separation anxiety, Bobbie Ann confessed that Celesta had moved the flower show to the Salvisa post office.

Celesta had worked at the Lawrenceburg post office for 18 years. Well, working doesn’t quite cover it all. There was value added. She brought flowers to the post office every week or so.

December 2, 2014: Arisaema draconitum (green dragon), blackberry lily, foxtail, corn tassel, staghorn sumac and wild turkey feather

Celesta is now our good fortune. Every week I stop by my Salvisa post office box, pick-up the Harrodsburg Herald and look at the flower show.

A flower show of a single vase is modest by comparison to big name flower shows like Philadelphia or Chelsea.

Celesta would be embarrassed to call it a show at all, but her public display of wild fruit, flowers from scavenged plants, leaves of all sorts and bird feathers is one of the highlights of my week.

Daffodils on March 30, 2015

Daffodils on March 30, 2015

Tulips with buckeye, hackberry and walnut stems on April 15, 2015

Tulips with buckeye, hackberry and walnut stems on April 15, 2015

Bearded and Siberian Iris with box elder branches on May 8, 2015

Bearded and Siberian Iris with box elder branches on May 8, 2015

Peonies on May 26, 2015

Peonies on May 26, 2015

Posted by on May 27, 2015 at 7:20 am, in the category Unusually Clever People, What's Happening.

11 responses to “My Favorite Flower Show”

1. Garden Rant Garden Rant says:

Love this! Thanks a bunch. Susan

2. Naomi Brooks says:

I loved my small town post office. When I first moved there, I went to introduce myself and the postmaster said, “We already have a Naomi”. No trace of levity, either.

But my “big city” post office has its benefits, too: Dutch-inspired architecture influenced by President Roosevelt, and WPA murals of our city’s history that are amazing. It’s more than mail, that trip to the post office.

3. Louise Grat says:

I know I have the friendliest Post Office but it lacks flowers. How nice to make these little discoveries in your backyard.

4. Joe Schmitt says:

Growing up in Bayport, New York, a tiny town on the south shore of Long Island, our Postmaster, Stanley Orenkewicz, like a fair number of the towns residents, was a small scale commercial cut flower grower with a single, glass, coal heated greenhouse, but he would never consider keeping aside flowers that could be shipped to New York in exchange for money. Bayport, and the surrounding villages were a United Nations of first and second generation European cut flower growers, the Poles represented by Mr. Orenkewicz as well as the Yablonskis, the French by Rene’ Chevally, the Germans by Paul Schneeberg, the Auerwaters and a passel of us Schmitts, the Italians by the Bianchi family. There were also Greeks, Bohemians, an Englishman or two and of course the Dutch. Like the barefoot shoemaker’s kids, we Schmitts rarely had flowers in the house either.

5. Nancy says:

I think this is so charming. In Chagrin Falls, Ohio we had a man who grew beautiful Dalhias and shared them with the town at the library and post offices. I so like sharing garden flowers. I lived in Danville for several years, so I do enjoy the Kentucky updates.

• Allen Bush Allen Bush says:

Nancy, I am so happy to hear about the flower man of Chagrin Falls. We got some rain here in Salvisa, the last few days. And, surely, in Danville, too. It has been dry most of the month after a very wet April.

6. M Bennett Stenberg says:

So fun I enjoy Celesta’s flowers in our Salvisa Post office and look forward to the changing season’s she will give us.

7. Ruth Rogers Clausen says:

Love it Alan. Should try to introduce it here in Easton, although it may be a little larger.
    Ruth

8. commonweeder says:

Our librarian brings in flowers through the season. Thank heaven for all those gardeners who so quietly share the beauty of the season with their community.