Public Gardens

Dumbarton Oaks in April

IMG_5105Yesterday was the perfect day to visit Dumbarton Oaks, the Beatrix Farrand-designed garden and research facility in DC’s Georgetown neighborhood. Cherry trees and magnolias were still blooming, under blue skies.  I was reminded why the National Geographic named it the 6th best garden in the world.

Above, the garden’s most iconic feature.

IMG_5114

The Pebble Garden is also justly famous.

IMG_5185

The same swirls are repeated in other parts of the garden.

IMG_5130
IMG_5141

Kitchen Garden.

IMG_5140

IMG_5156

The Forsythia Dell leads to the Dumbarton Oaks Park below.

IMG_5176

The North Lawn features a series of ha-ha’s.

IMG_5107
The pool looks tempting even on a spring day. I wonder if I’ll be able to resist jumping in when I come back in July.

More photos here on Flickr.

Posted by on April 17, 2015 at 7:19 am, in the category Public Gardens.

6 responses to “Dumbarton Oaks in April”

1. Mary McAllister says:

I saw the garden in October a few years ago. It was a great pleasure. Some day I hope to see it in the spring. The museum is also a treasure. Folks in DC are so lucky to live in such a beautiful city.

Beatrix Farrand bequeathed her working drawings to UC Berkeley’s Landscape Architecture Dept, one of the first such departments in the country. Her drawings are displayed in UCB’s LA library occasionally. She is one of the first female landscape architects and remains one of our best.

Thank you for the glimpse of this beautiful garden in the spring.

2. DC Tropics says:

Thanks for the photos, I haven’t been to the wonderful gardens of Dumbarton Oaks in nearly 20 years. I’m long overdue for a visit!

3. tara dillard says:

Another famous garden I was nearby, but did not see.

Why?

Was with my mother. She has total contempt for my career as garden designer/author/speaker. Total. Never lived at home after college, nor taken money from my parents after high school. Her problem with my career?

Cannot wait to walk in this garden, thank you for letting me be in it visually !!

Garden & Be Well, XO T

4. Cheryll Kinsley says:

Thanks for this update. We crossed the country so we could visit Dumbarton Oaks on March 29 this year, remembering past years when the early blooms were at their most spectacular in late March/early April. Alas, because of the cold winter in D.C., absolutely nothing had broken bud yet. (I was particularly sad about the forsythia still being an acre of sticks. In my opinion that’s the one place in the world where forsythia looks good, because there’s so much of it in one space.) Still, we could see the bones, which was a treat in itself. This is such a wonderful garden. Don’t forget to tour the home and museum when you visit.

5. A real treat to revisit this garden through your photos. It is a wonderful place.

6. Amy says:

What a stunning location!
    I can only imagine what this would be like in full bloom, a landscape to remember!

Great Post!