Public Gardens, Real Gardens, What's Happening

They have gardens in Canada, too!

imageJust kidding. I’ve been enjoying my proximity to the cosmopolitan delights of Toronto and the beauties of Ontario’s Niagara region for decades, and now I invite fellow bloggers to do the same.

The next Garden Bloggers Fling takes place June 5-8 in Toronto and environs. We’ll see gardens on the car-free Toronto Islands, in Forest Hill, in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and much more. TO is a great city, with a huge variety of interesting restaurants and excellent museums. It’s worth the drive north just to see the street plantings in Niagara-on-the-Lake, before you even get to Hamilton (home of the spectacular Royal Botanical Gardens). And you’re not even in TO yet.

imageOur hosts are the fabulous Battersby sisters (Sarah and Helen), Veronica Sliva, and Lorraine Flanigan. Check out all the deets in the link above.

To be honest, I don’t know much about TO’s gardens, as I usually visit to see shows at the art museum and to eat. They have great markets and a nice Chinatown. So I’m looking forward to checking out the TO gardening styles.

Canada is a beautiful country and I visit whenever I can. You’ll love it, so please join us!

(I still like our side of the Falls better.)

Posted by on March 9, 2015 at 5:24 am, in the category Public Gardens, Real Gardens, What's Happening.

15 responses to “They have gardens in Canada, too!”

1. Ooooh. I NEED to learn MORE about this fling you speak of dearest EAL…

2. Rosanne says:

Love Toronto Islands–Toronto is one of my favorite cities

3. Amy Murphy says:

Yes, they have terrific gardens in Canada.

4. Jane S. says:

The name of this article really made me smile. That’s exactly what people think when it comes to Canada and gardens! I read there are just a couple of plants suitable for Toronto’s climate ! But I guess it won’t be so bad with gardening even though it’s Canada :-)

5. Ruth Rogers Clausen says:

Don’t bypass the Music Garden designed by Julie Moir Messervy with Yo-Yo Ma. If you are into music as well, take along or listen to Bach’s Suite No. 1 in G Major for unaccompanied cello, BWV 1007. The garden is designed with this music in mind, and at each stage there is a sign with the sheet music displayed for that particular part of the garden. A different inspiration for garden design.

6. Steve says:

And I hear that Toronto still has independent bookstores!

7. Allan Becker says:

The American dollar is worth more than a dollar in Canada.

8. Janet Davis says:

Looking forward to meeting you! Bloggers shouldn’t underestimate the ‘other’ great attractions of our fair city, as you’ve pointed out. Not to mention our dollar is currently sloshing around at about 80 cents vs. the greenback, so shopping will be appealing too. IF there’s any leftover time after garden touring.

• Janet, I have always explored the museums, architecture (if there is any) and other points of interest at every Fling I attend. I can’t be the single-minded garden tourist.

• Jean says:

Ditto what Elizabeth said about other points of interest. And believe me, us Flingers tend to drop a wad of money wherever we go, mostly on garden-related items and food and drink. It’ll be a lot of fun.

9. Carol Freeman says:

good to know. Do you need a passport to enter Canada and return to the U.S.?

Thanks

10. Garden Rant Garden Rant says:

Can’t wait!! Susan

11. Paul Jung says:

A big “welcome!” to our fair city.

Early June is a great time a garden tour in and around Toronto and Niagara wine country. Nice weather and things in full bloom…

Fling visitors will be well looked after by Lorraine, Veronica, Sarah and Helen.

Have a wonderful time!

BTW, love the post’s title, although other gardeners from the ROC ( “rest of Canada”) may not share this feeling :-)