Grab Bag, Real Gardens

Favorite places in town, including my new garden

Greenbelt Community Center

Greenbelt Community Center

On a local blog I write I thanked Greenbelt Maryland for 3 fabulous years there this month.  Then I went on to post photos of my favorite places – none farther than a slow 10-minute walk from my house – with some commentary.

IMG_6337

I’m celebrating my 3-year anniversary by posting photos of some of my favorite places in town, starting with the New Deal Cafe, where I quickly became a regular.

IMG_3915

Jennifer Cooper and GrooveSpan at the New Deal

IMG_4622

The friezes by Lenore Thomas Straus on the front of the Community Center portray the preamble to the U.S. Constitution, and I immediately noticed that promoting the general welfare is represented by gardening.  Yes, along with what looks like construction, but still…gardening is my thing so I love seeing it there.

IMG_5767

Boy, do I miss the Greenbelt Theatre since it closed for renovations!  Can’t wait for the exciting reopening, hopefully as a nonprofit group, for which I’m eager to volunteer.

IMG_4473

Blogging about the Greenbelt Aquatic and Fitness Center (here and here) turned me into a regular there, too – for the fitness rooms, multiple pools, and running into friends.

IMG_7464

marjketkarl9-001

I started volunteering at the Greenbelt Farmers Market in my first year here.  It’s been a happy place to hang out and actually make friends.

IMG_4947

I dare say the lake is a favorite spot for most Greenbelters, and count me as one of them.  Any time of the year.

IMG_2713

IMG_3755

1st snowfall of the 2014-15 winter

IMG_5073

Now excuse the lack of modesty but I looooove my new garden in Old Greenbelt – it’s just the right size for this aging gardener.  Above, the patio on the garden side (Greenbelt’s term for back yard) as it looked from my living room window in August.

IMG_5807

Even in winter, with snow falling, I still enjoy the garden from that living room window.

IMG_6980

In my front yard (“service side” in Greenbelt’s historic terminology) I’m still trying to figure out how to block my view of the parking lot, but I’m happy with this view of the patio, especially in the spring. Ah, April!

Photo credit for Greenbelt Farmers Market.

Posted by on December 29, 2014 at 11:07 am, in the category Grab Bag, Real Gardens.

15 responses to “Favorite places in town, including my new garden”

1. Tina Alston says:

What a bountiful year. Thanks, Tina

2. Layanee says:

Has it really been three years? Hard to believe. Time for me to come visit! Wait, you are supposed to visit me. Okay, we will do both. Happy New Year…early.

3. Erika T says:

Beautiful photos!! And your little patio looks delightful :) Your pictures remind me a lot of here in NH

4. Thanks for sharing your hometown with us, Susan – it’s absolutely charming. As is your garden. I just love the containers you created and the view from your window – gorgeous! Happy New Year!! XO

• Garden Rant Susan Harris says:

Thanks so much, Rebecca! I finally stopped mixing species in containers. Here I’m using just a bunch of coleus with one annual ornamental grass, then in the winter switching out for ornamental cabbage. They’re kinda sad what else are you going to do? Susan

5. Jeane says:

Hi. I noticed your patio pots have decorative cabbage (?) in them now, not what looks like coleus to me- I’m asking because I have a coleus plant I keep indoors, being afraid to loose it to cold weather overwinter. Does yours come back in spring? do you cut it down in fall?

• Garden Rant Garden Rant says:

Jeanne, the sunny shot shows coleus in the fall. The second shot with snow falling is after a hard frost has killed the coleus and I’ve put the cabbage in their place. Susan

6. I need to visit your garden and cool neighborhood!

7. A. Marina Fournier says:

Great tour! I love mushroom/umbrella fountains in public pool areas–and in public fountains.

Downtown San José has a checkerboard fountain in a plaza in the middle of Market Street–http://sjdowntown.com/live-here/recreation/ –which you can see halfway down the page.

At Stanford U., between Tressider Student Union buildings and the University bookstore, there’s a big wading pool masquerading as a fountain that everyone can enjoy. No one seems to mind kids IN the water, all 18″ of it!