Designs, Tricks, and Schemes

The High Line in Person

high line before

Last week I finally saw the world-famous High Line Park in NYC and, like everyone with a pulse, I loved it.  And unlike some scolds complaining about gentrification and the high maintenance costs, I have nothing bad to say about it.  I’m even more impressed with it after finding the “before” photo above on the website of its plant designer, Piet Oudolf.

So no ranting from me, just a few of my favorite spots.

IMG_5727

Not just plants, but art works, too.

IMG_5726

There were so many billowing Amsonia hubrichtii, I might have to come back and see them in their fall glory – orange.

IMG_5773

Oudolf chose primarily plants native to the Eastern U.S., though not exclusively, and not just the species.  Above, what looks like ‘Little Joe’ Joe Pye Weed or a similar shorter-than-species cultivar.

IMG_5767

Sooo much blooming in early August!  Besides Sedums, Joe Pye Weed and Butterfly Weed, what else?

IMG_5758

Hydrangeas offer a nice contrast to the sweeps of perennials.

IMG_5770

I find this under-tree treatment very classy – the black pebbles, the bronze Heuchera and some feathery ornamental grass -  maybe Stipa?  Update: Thanks to Thomas Rainer for identifying this grass as Carex eburnea, not Stipa.

IMG_5779

Even red-bloming Echinaceas looks terrific.  Thanks to two commenters for identifying this plant as Helenium autumnale.

IMG_5776

Black-eyed Susans against the backdrop of a billboard telling us we need to fly off to a Mexican beach to find a touch of heaven.  I think not!

IMG_5761

I can’t resist sharing this billboard, seen from the popular, street-view bleachers.

IMG_5748

There’s even a water element here, one that’s increasingly seen in modern garden design – the water scrim.

IMG_5783

The designers made sure to retain elements from the original historic freight line.

IMG_5786

And it’s not all perennials – there’s a good-sized grove that refreshes in the August heat.

IMG_5792

What surprised me the most about the High Line is this stretch of lawn – and how useful it is.  Nowhere else in the park could kids be set free to run around as they are here.  Plus, the lawn is calming, a nice contrast to all the plant exuberance in the rest of the park.

If you go, stroll the park like I did or click here to check for special events.  They include community dance parties, stargazing, and an early morning “Wild High Line Tour.”  All fabulous.

High Lines Everywhere?

The High Line is such a roaring success, with locals and tourists alike, that other cities want one of their own – plans are under way for Chicago, Philadelphia, Jersery City and St. Louis.  Actually, Paris started the new craze with its Promenade Plantée in 1988, according to this writer, who describes its landscaping as traditional, unlike the “relentlessly hip” High Line.  Well, if this is relentless hipness, I say bring it on!

Photo credit for “before.”

Posted by on August 16, 2013 at 9:29 am, in the category Designs, Tricks, and Schemes.

20 Responses to “The High Line in Person”

1. Allen Bush says:

And nowhere else can you find a view of a sassafras with the Empire State Building in the background!

2. Rich says:

Go in all seasons too. Even on cold winter days its a wonderland. And summer nights there are totally magical.

3. I like all the different elements of some organized strip, while others seem wild, and even finally a little bit of the elevated Train Track rails with plants growing from the,

4. Laura Bell says:

It’s lovely & one of the few reasons I’d want to go to New York. I wish other cities could take this lemons-into-lemonade approach instead of the more typical scrap-scrape-build method of re-building a city.

5. Oh yay, more photos of this cool park! I want to see it in person one day. Surprised and pleased to hear more of them are under development after reading that it was hugely expensive to build. And what are the maintenance costs and chores, I wonder? Would love to read more about the nuts and bolts of it.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse.

6. Pam/Digging says:

I would LOVE to see it in person. I love all your photos.

7. Great post! Carex eburnea is the grass you mentioned as possibly being a “Stipa”.

8. Sandy in TX says:

Oh, I LOVE the planted RR track.
    Why is this park “relentlessly hip,” though? Just because it has a modern design-feature or two, instead of a baseball diamond?

9. Kaveh says:

Just FYI that is Helenium autumnale not red Echinacea. But yeah the Highline is great!

10. Amy Murphy says:

Yes, I love the Highline too. Not only because I am a Piet Oudolf fan, but also because as a native New Yorker I am amazed at the execution of such an audacious plan. (although I will go on record for knowing people with pulses who do not like the Highline, but then that’s what makes NYC NYC = the diversity)

11. allan becker says:

Witold R. is not a landscape architect or a garden designer.Therefore his opinion is irrelevant. The High Line is a perfect example of the kind of synergy that results when diverse and contradictory creative elements and visionary people all come together.

12. Hmmmm says:

Why is this virtually identical to a prior post at http://blog.behnkes.com/garden-ideas-from-the-high-line.html ?

13. Monish says:

Loved this tour of the “high line”!! So beautiful and gives me hope for a new American aesthetic. However my friend…I must point out that the “red Echinaceas” you mentioned are actually Helenium- an uber useful hardy garden perennial that can be grown in almost any climate.

14. Lisa Lynch says:

Love that the designers left the rails and planted in and around them. Must make the High Line a stop when I visit NYC!

15. commonweeder says:

I don’t think you can blame the gentrification of Manhattan on gardens like the High Line. That is a complicated subject with changes in the business/manufacturing elements of the city playing a big part.

16. Deb says:

If you go, stop in at the Chelsea Market (home of the Food Network), grab some really great food from one of a dozen or more excellent eateries, then walk out the west door of the building and take the elevator up to the Line (yes, after only one visit I became hipster enough to call it the Line) and enjoy your lunch.