Grab Bag, Taking Your Gardening Dollar

Okay, I Love Columbus!

Invited to visit Columbus during its really big gardening trade show and then shown a fabulous time in their clean, beautiful city, how could I not write good things about it?

I’d never taken part in a “press junket” before and planned to decline them – if ever asked – to avoid a conflict of interest when writing about the companies that hosted the trip.  But for a city, especially one I’d heard great things about?  No problemo!

So here’s the short version of the great time shown to 10 of us “garden press” by Columbus.   (The 10 party animals hard-working magazine editors and bloggers are revealed below.)

columbus

We brunched at at Till Dynamic Fare,  Columbus’s best new restaurant of 2012.  They have their own bio-dynamic garden in the back, and serve only locally sourced products.  As if that weren’t cool enough, how about the tats on co-owner Magdiale Wolmark?

IMG_4928

At the North Market we were given gift certificates and told about the resurgence of markets in Columbus’s downtown.   We also learned that Columbus is definitely not a Rust Belt city, having never had the industry that has since abandoned cities like Detroit.  But like cities everywhere, Columbus had experienced white flight and the resultant downturn of its core, which has since come back with a vengeance.  Indeed its downtown is super-lively, and not just with students at Ohio State but with actual adults, too.

columbus1

That’s our group dining at The Seasoned Farmhouse, above, a just-opened “recreational cooking school.”

columbus2

Our dinner companions included the adorable Gretel and Steve, who supplied the flowers, and local brewer Matt Barbee.  It seems that Columbus is full of cute young artsy people like them.  (I’m sure they’re not all cute but the ones we met sure were.)

columbus8

The Topiary Garden includes a replica of Georges Seurat’s painting “A Sunday Afternoon on the Isle of La Grand Jatte.”

IMG_5047

We made a whirlwind stop at the Franklin Park Conservatory, where the sunny outdoor gardens had us running for relief indoors.

IMG_5054

I stopped here to photograph a fabulous glass art piece by Dale Chihuly, an artist already well known and loved by everyone else in my group.  Better late than never.

IMG_5070

Fortunately there are lots more indoors with AC.

IMG_5092

No, these orchids are NOT real.

IMG_5171

The Chadwick Arboretum at Ohio State hosted a reception for all the attendees at OFA.  The trial gardens are, I’m sure, where important research is done but I couldn’t drag myself away from the Steven Still Perennial Garden designed by Adrian Bloom.  (Steve Still being a renowned hort professor at the university, not the drug-addled former rocker .) Can you imagine having this outside your crappy old dorm?

IMG_5180

IMG_5191

columbus3

Even dinner at the Columbus Hilton was made into an event for us.  Chef Bill Glover has bragging rights to the Hilton chain’s only restaurant that sources locally and has its own bee hives on the roof.  Coming soon – a rooftop garden, too.

IMG_5218

Our Columbus keepers knew that we’d all want to see some private gardens, so they showed us a neighborhood that’s full of them.  Really nice ones.  That’s German Village, with its carefully restored 19th century homes and even fancy garages like the one above that holds five cars.

columbus6

We saw tiny, fabulous gardens, with containers to match.

columbus5

There are fun signs, too.  The quote on the right – “The hay is good and the dog’s so fat” – had us scratching our heads.  The other sign is pretty clear.

IMG_5301

Schiller Park in German Village boasts humongous perennial borders, maintained by legions of volunteers.

columbus4

Our guides were so thoughtful, they even provided photogenic dogs for us to include in our garden shots.

The park on the left, in the middle of German Village, was funded and is maintained by the neighbors.

press tour

Finally, the merry band on the “press bus”.  Front row from left:  Katie Ketelson of Better Homes & Gardens, moi, Stephanie Petersen of Garden Gate, Anna Laurent of Garden Design, and Kylee Baumle of Our Little Acre.  Back row from left:  James Baggett of Country Gardens, Helen Yoest of Gardening with Confidence, Steve Aitken of Fine Gardening, and Laura Kunkle of OFA.

A huge thank-you to our hosts Scott Peacock and Beth Ervin of Experience Columbus, who with help from Amy Weirick managed to show us a great time without anyone getting lost or in too much trouble.

Addendum:  If you go, try to see the governor’s mansion gardens, which I raved about here.  But contact them early; the visiting hours are limited.

Posted by on July 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm, in the category Grab Bag, Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

12 Responses to “Okay, I Love Columbus!”

1. Great round-up Susan! I couldn’t agree more — Columbus was fabulous! Was wonderful meeting you. Rock on!

2. Rick Brown says:

This is the best conference and trade show in the country in one of my favorite cities. I wouldn’t want to miss a year seeing my 10000 friends in this great plant business we are in. I saw all of you with cameras and note books there rushing around and taking it all in. I am glad you enjoyed it. We also stayed at the new Hilton and it looks like it will be the most popular place to stay next year.

• Susan Harris says:

RIck, I heard that from so many of the attendees, and I have a post coming up next week about OFA itself.
      Actually we all stayed at hte Renaissance, but dined at the Hilton Monday nite. Nice!

3. I’ve been on couple of Amy Weirick’s press trips to Ohio, and had a ball. Both the Hocking Hills and Columbus showed some wonderful surprises. Found some lovely stories for Country Gardens and other magazines while I was associate editor there, so I’m sure James B. and Katie K. found some great leads, too. And the food in Columbus–HOO-rah!

4. Pam J. says:

Great pictures!

5. It was great seeing you again, Susan. Columbus, who knew? I will go again. H.

6. Rachelle says:

Beautiful summary of OFA and your trip to Columbus. I’m not sure why the “Hay is good and the dog’s so fat.” should have your group scratching its collective heads. If the hay is good there has been rain and sun at the right time, and if the dog’s so fat (dogs used to just get the scraps from the table, not be the pampered beasts they are today) means the table has had plenty of bounty as well and not only are the beasts (cows, horses, sheep, dogs) eating well and will eat well, but the people will, too! Not to be plagued by famine and want is what allows us to move on to other things, like creating beautiful spaces and writing about them.

7. Allen Bush says:

Susan, what a surprise to see you at the OFA in Columbus. It was fun to read what I missed while I was chained to the Jelitto Perennial Seeds booth. I shouldn’t complain. I arrived in Vancouver yesterday for the Perennial Plant Symposium.
    I hate to give-up Kentucky’s heat and humidity for the next week.

8. Tibs says:

You mean there is more in Columbus than The Ohio State Buckeyes!!?? Try telling that to diehard fans. I made the mistake of calling the mascot goofy looking. ( have you ever seen a non goofy sport mascot?). I suffered for that comment for a looong time. Last time I went for garden related stuff it was Ameriflora in 1992. I hate going to Columbus. Hate the traffic and I am always going for mind numbing job related training. A few years ago they had rain gardens on the city street outside the downtown Hilton. Wonder if that is still maintained. Guess I should take another look at the city. The short north is pretty cool.

9. Thank you for touring the gardens Susan…it was definitely a pleasure meeting and chatting with you and your group at the “Pizza Oven Garden”, (one of my landscapes designs I am most proud)….Come back to Cbus anytime!

10. Nursery says:

The Chadwick Arboretum at Ohio State hosted a reception for all the attendees at OFA. The trial gardens are, I’m sure, where important research is done but I couldn’t drag myself away from the Steven Still Perennial Garden designed by Adrian Bloom.

11. Greg Phelps says:

I’ve been inspired by all the edible gardens throughout our city that I’ve planted up my front yard with edibles. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58419032@N00/7254861644/in/photolist-c464Bs-b8TkSB-d8zjU5