But is it Art?

Imitation of life

leafcasting
This is the time when the newly emerged hostas look their freshest (“June Frost,” below)—no slug damage, leaves torn by the sprinkler, or other signs of wear yet. It’s also the weekend of our annual art festival, which brings “sunshine artists” from far and wide into my neighborhood.

firstfrost
You’d be surprised at how many garden-related items are sold at this thing: trellises, stands, tillandsia in pottery holders, humorous signage, and more. I have long threatened that whenever I mastered hypertufa or leaf casting, I would set up my own yearly stand.

But someone’s beaten me to it; right behind our alley, there’s a leaf art seller who makes casts of every type of leaf. Some of them are oil lamps, some are fridge magnets, some support glass tables, and others are made to hang on the wall.

He uses a concrete mixture that he keeps a secret. I’m not sure I like the colors, but maybe he’s right to forget about a natural look. Regardless, he’s better than I ever hope to be. Maybe I should go for the hypertufa. On the other hand, I did not notice him selling a lot of these.

Posted by on June 10, 2013 at 7:46 am, in the category But is it Art?.

5 Responses to “Imitation of life”

1. Lisa-St. Marys ON says:

Those look like they are wonderfully done. I do not like the colour choice though. Plain concrete, or mossy would be fine. Do try the hypertufa, it is great fun.

2. anne says:

These appear to be made to bring an element of nature indoors, not necessarily for use outdoors in the garden. I guess color preference is in the eye of the beholder (or decorater).

3. Laura Bell says:

Yeah, I’m no fan of the color choices either. I’d prefer something more natural whether natural hypertufa colors, or natural leaf colors. But as Lisa commented, they are wonderfully done.

4. Martha says:

We own a few of those concrete leaves. The ones outside are on 4 by 4s and used as butterfly feeders – perfect use!
    The one inside is on our bedroom wall next to the window that provides a view to one of the perennial beds in the back yard.
    The ones we selected are all actual leaf colors but the butterfly feeders could have been any color. Over ripe fruit and Gatorade cover them all summer anyway.

5. Sandy in TX says:

I can see those, in even brighter, less-natural colors, as perfect snack-plates in a garden (or living room, for that matter, for example my Mom’s) out of a 1962 Sunset magazine. I actually like them.