Unusually Clever People

Return of the Farmer Pirates

compostpirates
Some of you may remember the Kickstarter campaign I posted for Buffalo’s Farmer Pirate cooperative. It was successful; the group bought their dump truck and now they’re using it to pick up organic matter from restaurants, grocery stores, and other commercial sites. They’ve also added a residential compost program. The other day I received a 5 gallon bucket from a couple pirates. They’ll be picking it up in a couple weeks, with pick-ups continuing throughout the growing season.

Technically, I already compost at home, but the experience has not been super-successful. I have a compost tumbler wedged in between my garage and the neighbor’s fence, but I rarely get back there to tumble the thing, or put anything in it. It’s not convenient where it is, but a composting operation would be unsightly anywhere else in my small courtyard garden.

Thanks to the pirates, urban residents who, like me, don’t have the space to compost, can still recycle organic matter that might otherwise end up in a landfill. Or, in my case, I might be so embarrassed to be resorting to this that I might find a way to make composting work at home.

Posted by on May 6, 2013 at 7:16 am, in the category Unusually Clever People.

8 Responses to “Return of the Farmer Pirates”

1. LOR says:

Our city (Hamilton Ontario Canada), and several other cities in my area, have had green bin collection as part of garbage day for years. They collect your food scraps and yard waste, composte it, and then sell it. I don’t believe this includes restaurants but it should, and I imagine eventually it will. I guess I’m a little surprised that American cities don’t do the same.

2. The link included to the Farmer Pirates compost program points to the page where we were testing out our new web design (which we’ve now launched). The form to sign up for the Compost Crew won’t work on that page.

The actual Farmer Pirates website is at http://www.farmerpirates.com

Thanks for the great press!

3. Stella B says:

San Diego and Orange counties pick up green waste and compost it. I’m not sure how it works in the OC, but in SD county, you just go to the dump and scoop up all the compost you want for free. For a nominal fee, they’ll scoop a load into your pick-up for you. It’s cheaper for the county than sending it off to the land fill. The giant windrows of compost, the turning machine, and the billowing steam are a sight to be seen, too.

4. Deirdre in Seattle says:

The City of Seattle takes all kitchen scraps (including things that one wouldn’t put in a home compost pile, like meat and dairy) along with the yard waste. In fact, the city requires that we put our kitchen scraps in the yard waste. It is all composted.

5. greg draiss says:

This is very cool. Old time garden centers would sell soil by the bucket fool as well as bulk marble chips. Goes to show you that if you go back to your roots you will find success.

Rock on the mighty compost sea!

The TROLL

6. VG says:

I want one of those t-shirts.