Drink This, Feed Me, Garden Rant Cocktail Hour

Quick! Drink This Before All The Tomatoes Are Gone!

I don’t know what it’s like in your neck of the woods, but around these parts we still have a few good tomatoes left at the farmers market. So that’s what I’m calling this drink–The Farmers Market.  Hurry up and make a batch while you still can.

The Farmers Market

2 oz vodka per guest (that’s a minimum–you know that, right? I’m drinking Square One Organic Vodka, made from rye.)

A whole bunch of really amazing tomatoes

Sliced fresh peppers, mild or hot (a safe bet might be mild with one fresh jalapeno thrown in there)

Cucumbers, peeled

Celery

Basil or cilantro

Tonic water (get the good stuff like Q Tonic or Fever Tree)

Save a few of the more attractive vegetative ingredients for garnishes. Take the rest and cut them up and put them in a big measuring cup or pitcher.  Pour the vodka on top.  Thoroughly mash everything with a muddler or wooden spoon. Let it sit around for a few hours while you get on the phone and round up some party guests, or sweep the porch, or feed the chickens, or whatever else needs doing.

Fill small Mason jars, short tumblers, or tall, skinny Collins glasses with ice. Strain the vodka mixture into each glass, top with tonic water, and garnish with whatever looks pretty.  Happy Wednesday, y’all!

Posted by on October 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm, in the category Drink This, Feed Me, Garden Rant Cocktail Hour.

8 Responses to “Quick! Drink This Before All The Tomatoes Are Gone!”

1. elizabeth baker says:

Yum!

2. JTG says:

And serve the mashed up drained drunken veggies with some salty tortilla chips or use as a base for ceviche or a crabmeat pasta salad — don’t just toss it on the compost pile for the skunks to enjoy…

3. Funny, when I go back to California and stay at my Mexican Brother in-law and sister’s place in the desert around Ocotillo next to the border, that is exactly what we have for breakfast along with Chorizo , eggs and potatoes.

4. tibs says:

Oh darn. Our tomatoes are done, had some cold nights. That sounds so much better than the plain old bloody marys I will have at the post wedding day brunch. Gonna save this recipe for next years crop.

5. Teri says:

So many of your shoulder season posts Amy just cause zone envy in me. It sounds delicious but its been freezing solid in these parts over night for a while now and I woke up to 2 inches of snow/ice this morning. The tomatoes are long gone. But maybe I’ll go pay the extra for hot house tomatoes and try it! I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with a bottle of vodka I picked up a while ago anyway!

• Sandy says:

Try a warm Cape Cod Glog – warm some cranberry juice (100% juice, not “cocktail,” please!) with a cinnamon stick and/or a chip of nutmeg or an allspice berry, and spike it. Wonderful in a cold rain, too.

6. Catherine says:

Woo hoo! Now I’m excited – tomato season just starting here in Oz. This sounds perfect with a summer BBQ, with more ‘goodness’ in the salsa on the side.

7. Amy Stewart says: