Drink This, Feed Me

Okay, Pinterest– I give in!

I resisted Pinterest for as long as I could. At some point, one simply has to put the social networking down and back slowly away from the computer.  But then I had an actual use for it, and that’s when I folded.

I’m creating a new garden (more about that in a minute) and I actually needed (well.  Needed in the way one needs anything related to a garden) a place to store ideas and plans. Pinterest was, of course, the exact right place to do that.

I’d been a Pinterest spectator for a while, but it wasn’t until I joined that I really started noticing what all our friends are doing there.

Like Debra Lee Baldwin’s gorgeous board of decorative glass.

And Dee Nash’s collection of espalier ideas.

And Rebecca Sweet’s vertical gardens.

And Willi Galloway’s chickens.

And Genevieve Schmidt’s goth garden.

And Jayme Jenkin’s garden cocktails.

And Susan Morrison’s lawn-free gardens.

And–well, I could go on.  Good stuff, that’s what I’m saying.

What sent me off the deep end on Pinterest was this:  I was choosing colors for a cocktail-themed garden I’m building, and as I was choosing paint colors for the fence, I realized that a lot of paint colors are named after iconic cocktails and their ingredients.  You can get a paint color called Whiskey Sour, Negroni, Gimlet, Bloody Mary, or Cosmopolitan.  If you want to mix your own, there are paint colors called Grenadine, Orange Bitters, Rye, Dark Rum, and Lemon Zest.

So I lost an entire evening to the create of a Pinterest board of paint colors with cocktail names.  The combination you see here is Margarita:  Tequila Lime, Orange Liqueur, and Crushed Ice.

And here’s an Old-Fashioned:  Bourbon, Orange Bitters, Maraschino Cherry, Sugar Cube:

and this is a Mojito:  Rum, Lime Juice, Spearmint, Sugar Cube, Soda Water, Crushed Ice:

Okay, I’ll stop now.  You see what Pinterest does to people?

I’ll keep you updated on the cocktail garden as it progresses. Oh, and myperfectcolor.com is the brilliant, Pinterest-friendly site where I found all these paint colors, btw.

Posted by on August 1, 2012 at 4:21 am, in the category Drink This, Feed Me.

19 Responses to “Okay, Pinterest– I give in!”

1. Abby says:

I’m afraid of being sucked down the Pinterest hole, so I’ve been using OneNote to store and organize screen clippings.

2. Susan Harris says:

Okay, what I don’t get is that everyone ignores both copyright law (based on, I suppose, the reasoning that no one’s going to go after the violations of individuals, so only businesses have to worry) and the ethics of taking people’s products without permission or, often, even credit. Linking to Google or Bing instead of to the source means the photographer gets nothing for the use of their work, not even a damn link. Is that ethical? Same goes for using photos from Flickr members who’ve specifically chosen “All rights reserved.” Too bad!

SO why are all these nice, honorable people doing things with Pinterest they haven’t done before – taking people’s work for their blogs, for example, without getting permission or giving credit? Simply because everybody seems to be doing it?

And will Pinterest eventually be shut down like Nabster was, for encouraging and facilitating the stealing of copyrighted works? Sure, all Pitnerest users have to affirm that they’re only pinning photos they either own or have permission to use, but few Pinners do that.

• Well said! I did a whole post on the problems with Pinterest copyright issues on my blog and was personally attacked about my views. I am SO glad to hear at least one other blogger does not like Pinterest. It sure seemed like a few at the Spring Fling loved that website and was selling it to others. That is fine as long as the others know the problems with copyright issues. It is a huge problem that I don’t think the users of Pinterest are aware of. Here is a link to the article I did outlining the issues from my perspective as a blogger. http://tinaramsey.blogspot.com/2012/02/no-interest-in-pinterest.html
      I backed it up with research from sites like Sitemeter.

3. commonweeder says:

Susan – Now I’m worried. I thought all Pins were available to all, as long as they did give credit. I haven’t used anyone else’s pins but I know others have used mine and given credit. Of course, I wouldn’t know if they used a pin and didn’t give credit. You certainly have given us food for thought.

4. naomi says:

The only problem I’ve had with it, aside from way too many hours on it, was the power going out while studying pins for reference. As far as credit goes, I found two bloggers with excellent tutorials. Fauxology has a great entry – http://www.fauxology.com/2012/02/pinterest-tips-tricks/ – which is all about working Pinterest and etiquette.

The Ornamentalist had a good entry on general blog etiquette here – http://www.ornamentalist.net/2012/02/top-5-policies-that-will-make-your-blog.htm – which included a especially this tool – http://jarred.github.com/src-img/ – that interfaces with google to track down the creators of images so you can give proper credit.

I would not normally link to other sites on a blog, but these are each excellent entries on correct usage of Pinterest, and general consideration of others and the work they put up for our enjoyment. I obviously include those here at GardenRant, who give me daily pleasure. Thanks, ya’ll.

5. Sarah says:

Haha! We’ve sucked you in. Welcome to the club. :)

6. Laura Bell says:

It’s hard not to see the glory of Pinterest. I’m something of a data geek & this is the ultimate data hoard. And the ultimate time sink. Need new garden ideas ? Here are 50,000 for ya. Interested in food ? Boom. Here are more recipes than the cookbook section of the Library of Congress. DIY ? Crafts ? Have your glue guns & mason jars ready. Want to spend hours obsessing over your latest movie or book fix ? We got boards for that. Funny posters & snarky quotes & teaching ideas & more & more….

I try to only pin & re-pin original sources only, but sometimes I get carried away. Given that it really ticks me off when someone tries to steal from my Flickr stream, I think I need to be much more conscientious about it.

7. Kris says:

I think for the most part that copyright is someone ignored simply because of the means by which the pinning happens. Sure you can pin someone else pin, on and on in perpetuity but when you click on that pin you are (hopefully) taken to the original site. In essence it is a way for blogs etc to get publicized by word of mouth, or in this case, clicks. The problem happens when someone pins something that the pin is somehow disconnected from the original post.

8. Kaviani says:

THANK YOU, SUSAN HARRIS!!! It seems certain folks just think “cute” (or, and I feel dirty for even typing this word, but “twee”) is enough to compensate for any other shortcoming.

It’s not.

9. Gerry says:

I am still resisting the urge for pinterest ;-) I am already stretched thin with gardening, genealogy, crocheting, scrapbooking, and work ( you notice there is NOT one mention of house keeping chores) Hoping NOT to spend hours at pinterest, I just enjoy visiting my Grand Niece and a few other friends posts on Facebook . Enjoy the rest of your Wednesday all.

• Laura Bell says:

Ah, but Gerry ! Pinterest will introduce you to new ideas (or at least prety words & pictures) re: gardening, genealogy, crocheting, scrapbooking … and give you wonderful ideas about how to reduce those housekeeping chores. Not that you have to actually DO the housekeeping (I don’t either) – but look at all the things you COULD do !

10. Pat says:

You’ve just been pinned! Pinterest is an interesting tool that I use to organize links I don’t want to lose….and to communicate to other, like-minded folks like my LinkedIn group, Grow Girls Grow Organic. Although your post isn’t “traditional” garden fare, I loved it…and I’m sharing it with my gardening group as a fun way to look at cocktails & paint!

11. Laura Bell says:

One should always check out the anything they re-pin. There are a lot of pins out there that look interesting, but when you click on them, they lead to something completely different. Investigate anything you want to re-pin.

My biggest irritation w/ Pinterest (aside from the spam sites mentioned above) is that often a legitimate pin is to a legitimate blog that is re-posting from someone else’s blog ! WTH ? If you like the idea enough to pin it, at least pin from the creator of said idea.

12. I have to say I like it……I can understand the copywriter issues and perhaps those laws just have to catch up like they have had to do for other social media sites.

if you fancy following a beekeeper on Pintrest come follow me!

13. Sandy in TX says:

You all must be on broadband.

14. Nell Jean says:

Here’s the big problem: there are some VERY interesting sites with lots of pictures that just cry out to be pinned. Trouble is, they’ve been swiped from the blogs and sites of others and no original source is given. Innocent surfers swoop in, pin something and never realize they’ve pinned something for which NOBODY had permission. Those beautiful photos continue in perpetuity with a bogus source.

I’m trying to assure myself that what I pin is from a REAL person who posts her OWN photos and give credit in my description, not just let Pinterest do it for me. Most people will not reword the description when they repin, so the source usually stays with the pin. I look to see if bloggers have a pinterest button signifying that they participate.

15. Nell Jean says:

I’m trying to assure myself that what I pin is from a REAL person who posts her OWN photos and give credit in my description, not just let Pinterest do it for me. Most people will not reword the description when they repin, so the source usually stays with the pin. I also look to see if bloggers have a pinterest button signifying that they participate.

16. Lee says:

I have a love/hate relationship with pinterest myself. Every time I go on there, I get sucked further and further into the site, looking at all the pretty and interesting things people have pinned. It’s definitely a great “eye candy” site.

17. [...] at Garden Rant just got sucked into Pinterest with the rest of us, and she highlighted a few of her favorite boards to follow on Pinterest. Among the best are Jayme Jenkins’ garden cocktails, Debra Lee Baldwin’s gorgeous [...]