Ministry of Controversy, Unusually Clever People

Green for President

Occupy Big Food rally in New York City

We’ve always said here that gardening is political, a way of opting out of a culture that pushes us to live lives powered entirely by fossil fuels and processed substances that bear only the slightest relationship to actual food. Food is political, as Michael Pollan has been telling us for years, and as the Occupy Wall Street movement asserted last year.

So it’s very nice that the Green Party has just fielded its first candidate to quality for federal matching funds, an internist named Jill Stein. And based on an interview that appeared in the New York Times yesterday, I certainly like her.  Whereas I find most health care pros are pretty focused on pharmaceuticals and not so much on eating well, Stein actually cooks, and cooks organic, as a good Green should.  According to the Times, she is running because she “grew impatient with the social and environmental roots of disease.”

She is also very funny on the subject of professional politicians.  Asked what it was like to debate Mitt Romney, as she did when she ran unsuccessfully for governor of Massachusetts in 2002, she said,  “It’s easy to debate a robot.”  Here’s hoping she gets to debate him again this year.

Posted by on July 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm, in the category Ministry of Controversy, Unusually Clever People.

9 Responses to “Green for President”

1. Susan Harris says:

My potential enthusiasm for her is certainly reduced by the reality that votes for Greens come mainly from the Left. I still blame Ralph Nader for giving us the decidedly not-green W.
    (I know Nader’s not the ONLY reason for the outcome, but without the Green Party…)

2. Greg Draiss says:

Susan I kind of feel the same way. Why is it all the causes today come from the left? I know just as many right wingers, like myself, who are tired of big gov/big biz domination.

The TROLL

3. kermit says:

We have serious numerous serious issues facing us, most of them environmental, and they are rapidly getting worse. I confess I am undecided on this. I think the Green platform is almost perfect, yet I know that it’s unlikely to establish any candidates for offices higher than dogcatcher. But who will take them seriously if nobody votes for them first?

On the other hand, Nader and W…

Sigh. Maybe I should stop trying to be Machiavellian myself; even the big dogs usually mess it up, as near as I can tell. I won’t make decisions based on indirect goals (e.g. vote Green, the Dems respond thusly, which results in… and so on). I’ll just vote for the party who express my values the best, and that would be Green.

I really do just want to grow old with my sweetie and our garden. I don’t want to pay attention to politics at all, but it seems that I must.

4. Nader did not cost the election. From the StraightDope.com: “The numbers vary, but well-cited polls have indicated that anywhere from 80 to 95% of Nader voters in 2000 “would not have voted otherwise.” It’s time to put this myth that Nader “took votes away” from anyone to rest. Nader was successful at getting people excited enough to get out and vote who would otherwise have not cast a vote for either mainstream candidate.”

5. Gerry says:

PLEASE do not forget the “ONLY” reason Bill Clinton got elected the first time was 19 percent of the Republicans voted for Ross Perot!!! WISHING I could live as kermit stated above ;-) Just fighting with all the critters over produce from my garden, seems to be a big enough problem for me. Thank You Garden Rant as always for letting us Rant away about ALL subjects.

6. Susan Harris Susan Harris says:

This UCLA study (and others) confirms that Nader cost Gore Florida. http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/faculty/lewis/pdf/greenreform9.pdf
    Couldn’t find your reference on Straight Dope.com.

7. gemma says:

Nader was not an issue in Florida, unless, as the authors of that study mentioned, you also include the votes for other 3rd party candidates, any one of whom could also (or instead) be blamed. But that’s all speculation: if no 3rd party candidates had been on the ballot, it’s possible none of those voters would have gone to the polls at all. Similarly, if Nader had not been involved in the election, some Gore voters may not have voted (for Gore), either.

Gore did not even carry his own state!!

If *all* the Florida votes had been counted, instead of only the votes from a few counties, Gore probably would have won, according to investigators.

8. Peter says:

@Greg Draiss: “Why is it all the causes today come from the left? I know just as many right wingers, like myself, who are tired of big gov/big biz domination.”

Don’t want to sound like a snark over here….but maybe it’s because the dominating theme from the far-right is that “our job is to make sure this current Administration fails.”

Honestly, who talks like that? Is that what you and your segment of the politcal culture wants, is to root for the duly elected leadership of this country to fail? Frankly you may as well be rooting for the country at large to fail as well. This is why I personally am sick and tired of ReThuglicans, the overly-prevalent theme of “all fail, all whine, no ideas, no willingness to compromise and make this country better.”

I’ll be more willing to listen to what your side has to say, when your side gets a clue and figures out that, yes Viriginia, we need to ban glyphosate-resistent GMO crops via (horrors!!) legislation.

• Norma says:

Well said, Peter. All too often elected officials spend valuable time voting down anything the opposition proposes without offering viable options. And yes, both major parties are guilty of this at one time or another. Meanwhile, the citizens see nothing being done to solve actual problems.