I Don't Have a Garden, but I Watch One on TV

“Big Name” Gardening Website Coming Soon

Recently this message went out to the Yahoo group of one of Washington’s tonier neighborhoods, with the title “Beautiful perennial garden in back yard needed for TV Commercial.”

Would anyone be interested in having a tv commercial shot in their back yard one day around the third week in July, at your convenience, for a big name new gardening website? They will pay $1500 for the day, and probably add a few flowers for extra punch.

Whoa, Nelly!  First, we’ve heard stories about a TV channel paying nothing, zip, for the privilege of filming in private gardens.  No money, not even credit.   (That would be HGTV, of course.)   But this new venture – a mere website! – has $1,500 to pay for a single location for a television commercial!  Wow.

Which leads to the most shocking part of the story – the people behind a gardening website can afford to pay for television ads to promote the thing!  Again, unheard of.

Naturally, I wrote to the author to ask for the “big name” in question, but didn’t get an answer.  So, on the hush-hush, let’s all speculate, shall we?

Among big names connected to gardening, Martha Stewart’s comes to mind but she already has a gardening website.  So let’s think outside the garden.

Like Oprah!  Names don’t get much better – actually, any bigger.  Googling her name and “garden” produced the photo above of her with Nate Berkus, as she toured his garden.  And we know she attended a garden party at least once.

Michelle Obama comes to mind but based on the call for a perennial garden, with no mention of edibles, I’d rule her out.  Plus, in an election year, she’s kinda busy.

But there ARE some big-name actresses who are on record as gardeners.  Like Gwyneth Paltrow – here’s the evidence on her website strangely called Goop.  She’s seen here adding to the spectacle that is the Chelsea Flower Show.

And Bette Midler’s been advocating gardening for years now – specifically in New York City.  But she doesn’t seem like a big website person to me, like the younger, trendier Gwyneth.

For other leads I Googled “celebrities who garden” and didn’t get much – mainly this list of celebrities who’ve “gone green.”  There I found big names indeed, like Brad Pitt and George Clooney, but there’s no mention of either of them actually gardening.  The closest celeb found getting his hands in the soil was Adrian Grenier, who’s been filmed building a compost bin.  But Cameron Diaz is all over the place, green-wise, so maybe she’s the next gardening diva.

I sure don’t know but am ridiculously curious.

Guesses, anyone?

Posted by on July 24, 2012 at 7:00 am, in the category I Don't Have a Garden, but I Watch One on TV.

13 Responses to ““Big Name” Gardening Website Coming Soon”

1. tai haku says:

Is it possible the big name is a brand (like a “new” Home Depot gardening site or something similar). I think in the UK big diy stores have launched gardening sites around Alan Titchmarsh and possibly also Jamie Oliver so it could be that sort of thing.

Brad Pitt I believe is a cycad collector…

2. tara dillard says:

Was just interviewed for the Home Depot website. Lynn Coulter is one of their blog writers. She did mention Martha Stewart has signed something else with them. Interesting.

HGTV, yesterday morning, asked me to write for their new website.

But I agree, and sadly know, about how the industry ‘pays’ for garden filming & etc.

Who would we LIKE to have as the new website host? I’m nerdy enough to want the old Victory Garden team ca. 80′s. Better, the House & Garden brain power ca. 80′s. Remember Horticulture in the 80′s-early 90′s ? Of course I adore Sunset.

Whatever ! Still like the team ya’ll have put together for Garden Rant.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

3. John Laser says:

Hmm are you sure this isn’t going to be a PR stunt. A ‘big name’ gardening company has certainly got you thinking about them….

4. Ellen says:

‘Fess up, it’s you.

5. [...] We’re experiencing a technical glitch, which is sending all comments on this post over here to an earlier post.  Hoping for a quick fix. Posted by Susan Harris on July 24, 2012 at 7:00 am, in the category I [...]

6. GR Editor says:

Fixed!

7. My guess is HGTV. They have to build a website or blog now that they are a plant brand, don’t you think?

Their new plant collection will no doubt be promoted on a dedicated gardening site and they’ll begin to “reach out” to other bloggers. You know the drill.

My strong guess.
    Shirley Bovshow

8. If it is real then it’s probably a big organisation that sells gardening products but aren’t real gardeners themselves. Willliams Sonoma Agrarian comes to mind…

9. Probably Martha. How big is big? The name makes people pay attention to whatever the garden issue/theme/ad. we love celebrity. it’s the American way to success. Just look at the Kardashians. Need I say more.

10. Carolyn says:

Hmmm… very interesting and it does lead the mind to want to know more.
    They should really pick me… my backyard is simply divine and I’d agree to accept half that much.

11. Loretta says:

Benjamin, I had no idea your garden was so beautiful. I love it. I read your blog regularly. Put more pictures of your garden on it.

12. robert says:

Of course Gwenyth gardens, she’s a super women who cooks, brings up a family and makes mega bucks, there’s nothing she can’t do ( or get her expensive PR team to do for her…)