Uncategorized

Score

I love it when expensive plants like Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’ seed themselves.  I have a tough time finding these plants for less than $20 each in nurseries, and ideally, I’d have a sea of them, since they thrive in the darkest, driest part of my garden.

Admittedly, the two little plants, in front and to the right of Father Frost, are not as variegated.  But still very handsome!  And the minimal variegation may be on me–I planted a plain-leafed Brunnera in the same bed.

Posted by on May 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm, in the category Uncategorized.

10 Responses to “Score”

1. Melissa says:

OHhhhh I have been trying for so long to get them to grow. I just planted two more last weekend and hoping for the best. I share your excitment!!!!

2. Heucheras have been hybridizing in my garden for the past few years, now ranging from clear green shiny, deep red. And one volunteer Japanese Painted Fern that surpasses anything I’ve seen in the trade.

3. Jason says:

I actually like the straight species better than “Jack Frost.” The heart shape and light green color I find very appealing. The straight species self sows in my yard, so one plant will generate a decent number of seedlings every spring.

4. UrsulaV says:

“Jack Frost” is at the local Lowes this year for the usual 5.98 a pot. (Last year I could only ever find it for $15 in the good nursery, myself…)

5. Eileen says:

Could you have planted Brunnera Angel Wings, looks like mine. I also have Jack Frost and it looks nothing like this one.

Eileen

6. tibs says:

And all I could see was the maple seedling to the right – how sad is that? Spring and I am in full weeding mode.

7. Nancy says:

Michele- My Jack Frost has reseeded twice in as many years and both babies look like Mama! Couldn’t believe my luck. They are right next to the plain green leaf ones as well.

8. The expensive reseeder: a sign of a happy garden.
    UrsulaV…If you got it for $5.98 it’s likely tissue culture or mass production, which might not be as vigorous (though it could be fine). I have a hard time with Brunnera in hot and summer-dry Atlanta, but my friend Lynne has them reseeding freely in her Atlanta garden, so I may have to try again.

9. I meant tissue culture FOR mass production…whoops!

10. Gail says:

I wonder if that is one my SIl has good luck with? I’ll have to check.