Uncategorized

Why Is Chicago So Civilized?

Friend of Rant and Chicago radio personality Mike Nowak now has a TV show on Comcast 102, Dig In Chicago, which will debut tomorrow. We love Mike because he blasts away the twee in gardening, is a real journalist willing to take on all kinds of political and environmental issues surrounding gardening, manages to be both extremely local and universal in the information he dishes out, and also because he is funny!

He will be joined on this endeavor by one Jennifer Brennan, whose bio informs me that she is ABC-TV Channel 7′s horticulture correspondent.  I don’t mean to succumb to envy, but why have I never lived in a market where the TV networks employ horticulture correspondents?

Posted by on April 20, 2012 at 7:18 am, in the category Uncategorized.

10 Responses to “Why Is Chicago So Civilized?”

1. Jason says:

I live in Chicago and it’s news to me that ABC has a horticulture correspondent. Not that I watch much local news.

I do know who Mike Nowak is, though. He’s a good writer. He also has a radio show on Sunday mornings on WCPT that I like a lot when I remember to listen.

2. Let me introduce myself. I am Jennifer Brennan, Horticulture Information Specialist at Chalet Nursery in Wilmette, IL. I have worked with Tracy Butler, the ABC Ch7 Morning News weather anchor for 16 years. Tracy either comes to Chalet once a month to broadcast “Live with Tracy” on location or I go to the studio at 190 N. State Street. It is very early in the morning, 5AM to 7AM (even before most people’s first cup of coffee!). I do 2-3 3minute segments about the horticulture topics of the month. We have also been answering FB questions at the end of the weather segments that air every 10 minutes throughout the 2 hour show. Many “Early Birds” know and like the timely info. I hope to meet many more gardeners through this new Dig In Chicago Show!

3. greg draiss says:

Chicago is civilized (save for the ghettos) because of the city’s dedication to flowers everywhere. Even off Michigan planters and flowers are everywhere…………
    And The Chalet rocks not afraid of getting full price for stuff……………

The TROLL

4. SJ says:

Actually Greg the ghettos have a lot more going on in them than some of the pretty places in Chicago. Lots of organic vegetable gardens and flower gardens to build community spirit and feed hungry people. It’s not your fault as most folks from out of town and even in town in the better neigboorhoods or suburbs never have an opportunity or reason to visit them or drive through.

I like the Chalet, their stuff is very nice. It is a bit much for everyday shopping but if you are looking for a special gift or plant the quality is very good. And yes, if they can get the price why not. However, it’s very sad the independents in some of the other suburbs have had a hard time I was very sad about Sid’s closing down last year and a few years before Amlings shut all of their garden centers as well.

5. Kathryn says:

Baltimore suffers from the same stereotype of “ghetto” as mentioned by Gregg in reference to Chicago. Say “Baltimore” and everyone responds “The Wire.” But there is a lot more to our town and most of it isn’t scary. There is a great deal of urban farming going on in Baltimore, for example. I profiled the Whitelock Community Farm on my blog yesterday: http://www.gardensprite.com. Neighborhoods are trying hard to combat food deserts and bring beauty and health into their communities.

6. Ben says:

Great to hear some local input; I am starting my first garden and the folks at Chalet have been a lot more knowledgeable than the people at the big box stores. And they have very nice quality products.

7. Greg Draiss says:

I know what happened at Sid’s..I have some connections inside the industry that said (allegedly) there was an issue with cooking the books unbeknownst to Sid.
    It is a shame since I know Sid and his family was devoted to the business.

The TROLL

8. Gabriela Harvey says:

Gheto’s, civilized….Yikes… not good words…communities in need ??? neglected communities? As a veteran of many a horticultural therapy program initiated by the Chicago Boatanic Garden and suoervised by me, I believe those words would smart…you speak like an outsider.
    Respectfully
    Gabriela

9. Gabriela Harvey says:

Gheto’s, civilized….Yikes… not good words…communities in need ??? neglected communities? As a veteran of many a horticultural therapy program initiated by the Chicago Botanic Garden and supervised by me, I believe those words would smart…you speak like an outsider.
    Respectfully
    Gabriela

10. Memorials says:

To come across ceramic cremation urns and furthermore
    appreciate many the operation operating costs is the answer 2 methods in
    which. At first, you can check out who have a funeral residential home.
    Most funeral service shops include Pet cremation urns presented or alternatively they offer visuals you can see to find out what one single
    you’d like. Present different courses separate funeral service, you can travel to a handful of to see if they have variations offered