, Designs, Tricks, and Schemes, Everybody's a Critic

Leaf Magazine Dazzles

Leaf cover
If you're not one of the 80,000 people already reading Leaf Magazine (after just one issue) then why the hell not?  It's a free e-magazine, available right here.  The new Spring 2012 issue, at 142 pages, is gorgeous and inspiring, full of the kind of garden design photography and writing I've been pining for all my life.  Garden Design Magazine, at $22 per year and catering to the wealthy SoCal reader, can't hold a candle to Leaf, the work of East Coast garden designers Susan Cohan and Rochelle Greayer.  They recruit contributors from across the U.S., though, and internationally.

Honestly, I've only scrolled through the new issue for its eye candy, looking for familiar names (Ken Druse, Buffalo's Jim Charlier) but I'm going back for more.   Behind the scenes at the Philly Flower Show, for example.  And I'm in the midst of planning my new garden, so I might get ideas from the featured garden in London, a tiny but inspired one, or the artist's garden in Los Angeles.

A personal favorite bit I noticed right away is that in marked contrast to the aforementioned (and no longer subscribed to by yours truly) Garden Design, Leaf's round-up of garden benches includes the super-affordable $90 version at Ikea.  Now we're talking.

Kudos and congratulations to Susan, Rochelle and their team.  And thanks from this gardener (and design aspirant/appreciator) for the most exciting gardening publication she's ever laid eyes on.

One complaint, though – I don't have an iPad, which is clearly the device for reading Leaf while in the garden.  Gotta do something about that.

Posted by on April 3, 2012 at 6:00 am, in the category , Designs, Tricks, and Schemes, Everybody's a Critic.

12 Responses to “Leaf Magazine Dazzles”

1. John says:

The one page profile of Hudson Valley Seed Library (page 67) really caught my eye. I could have talked to these people all day at the Philadelphia Show. They blend art, community gardening and seed saving into one fun package. Very inspiring. Wish something like this was going on in my area.

2. Melissa says:

Your enthusiasm is contagious and certainly warrants a free iPad.

So far Leaf is doing a very good job of offering something for every type of garden lover. I’m impressed.

3. CindyP says:

WOW! I wasn’t a reader before. I sure am now. I’m passing this on to all my gardening friends. Thanks so much.

4. greg draiss says:

Awesome looking “publication”

The TROLL

5. Wendy says:

I have to say that I am less than impressed with Leaf “magazine” Leaf doesn’t hold a candle to the high gloss luxurious pages of Garden Design. Maybe you haven’t seen Garden Design in a while, but in the last issue they showcased a bistro set from Target (in a fabulous blue color!) and a beautiful story on Chanticleer in PA. Plus, when they do show the high ticket items, it really gives me ideas and inspiration. Just my rant…

6. Susan Cohan says:

Wow, Susan. Thank you so much. I’m so happy we’ve hit a positive chord with all types of garden design enthusiasts from all walks of life. I can’t thank you enough for your super kind words and your support.

7. Thanks for the shout out Susan. I owe you a drink. In Asheville?

8. Astra says:

I like Garden Design. I always crack up when they feature a $22,000 lounge seat but the rest of the issue is generally great.

9. I’m not one of Leaf’s 80,000 online readers because it is more than my poor satellite internet can handle. I tried to read the first issue and was stopped at about page 12 and realized how much more was waiting, waiting, waiting to download.

10. Terri says:

ok, maybe I’m computer illiterate (no, I don’t have an ipad) but, does this mean it isn’t in actual print and I can’t BUY it at my local book sellers???

11. Susan Harris says:

Terri, that’s right. Digital only

12. Thanks Susan for the kind and generous review!!….and Terri — it should also be mentioned…you don’t have to BUY it at all….it’s free…