Lawn Reform

More Beautiful No-Mow Yards

As promised in my first post about this book, here are more photos from the book, just a few of my favorites.

Hadden4
Above, the tiny urban back yard of DC Master Gardener Barbara Dinsmore.  Photo by Lucy Dinsmore.

Below, pink muhly grass in a California yard.  Photo by Saxon Holt.

Hadden3

Next, spring-blooming trees in a meadow of fescue at the Olbrich Botanical Garden.  Photo by Jeff Epping.

Hadden5

That's all the eye candy for today.  Be sure to enter to win the book, or just order it now!  Publication date is February 7.

Posted by on January 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm, in the category Lawn Reform.

12 Responses to “More Beautiful No-Mow Yards”

1. UrsulaV says:

Wow! That DC backyard is spectacular!

2. Tara Dillard says:

Been no-mow for 2 decades.

Prettier.

Easier.

Cheaper.

Tara Turf came along soon after. (Why not copy the historic landscapes of Italy?)

Testosterone-On-Wheels made gardening ‘landscaping’ & commodifies all they touch.

Don’t get me started on annuals from plugs & the environment. Self-seeding? YES !!

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

3. Cindy B says:

Susan, congrats on scoring the cover shot! Well-deserved. As for my yard, it is so big that mowing will likely always be part of it. But I’ve chopped it up enough with plantings to make annoy my husband.

4. I would LOVE to convince my husband to go no-mow. We’ll have to see what I can do.

5. Jason says:

I am swooning over the meadow at the Olbrich Botanical Garden! Love the species tulips scattered among the grasses. I remember Olbrich from when I lived in Wisconsin – a small but wonderful garden.

6. Jean says:

Going no mow this spring. Need the book for more ideas!

Jean

7. beachbird says:

I so wish i could go no mow.

8. I encourage many of my clients just to let most of the yard go natural and hire a mower once a year. The wildlife they attract is often incredible!

Of course, some neighbors wouldn’t be into this, and I get the impression the authors of this blog are into more of a designed look. Am I right?

If so, this book could be excellent for that because you’re right, you definitely can’t just throw down some wildflower seed and have a happy, sustainable meadow ever after. There’s some thought and maintenance that goes into a meadow system.

Nice photos!

9. Robin says:

Beautiful, especially Barbara Dinsmore’s garden. I could lose track of time there quickly.

I am working on a no-mow plan this winter. My husband mows 1/4 acre once or twice from spring through fall. It’s crazy. I’m going to slowly (because it’s so expensive) turn much of the open space into perennial flower, herb and vegetable gardens. I’m eager to get the book.

10. Ellen says:

would love this lawn and book

11. Hydro Pros says:

I would die to be able to grow a no-mow. Maybe with some pointed convincing…

12. Marilyn says:

These photos are inspirational.
    I’m three years into transitioning to a
    no-mow yard…a new look in this neighborhood of traditional lawns.
    I would welcome ideas to add to the
    transformation.