Eat This

The Grafted Tomato Test Continues

Tomato test

As I reported last month, I'm testing a few varieties of grated tomatoes from Log House Plants.

I'm very excited about the possibility of Super Yields!  Stronger!  Faster!  Fights Off Disease and Pests! as promised in the literature about these plants.  To say that my climate is a challenge for tomatoes is an understatement.  Today–this is August, mind you–has been so chilly and foggy that I've worn a sweater all morning.  The sun came out around 2 pm, but the fog will roll back in by suppertime, and I'll put that sweater back on. Shorts?  I don't own a pair of shorts.  It is not exactly tomato weather around here.  Ever.

Right now the tomatoes are all doing great.  I'd show you a picture of the whole setup, but it's just a tangle of overgrown vines that wouldn't really tell you anything.  I have noticed that the grafted "Big Beef" is shorter than the non-grafted version, but that doesn't mean much to me right now–all I care about is how many actual tomatoes I get by the end of the season.

And look at these lovely green San Francisco Fogs!  So pretty! So full of promise!

I've been down this road before, y'all.  I've watched tomato plants get all green and luxuriant and heavy with hard green tomatoes–and then produce just a few ripe red tomatoes before some awful fungus strikes and they all wilt into a pile of black, rotting misery sometime in late September.

But I'm hopeful!  If these go well, I will build a much better tomato bed for myself next year and really get into tomato-growing in a way I haven't been able to since I moved to Eureka.

I'll report back in a few weeks.  If anybody else is testing these grafted veggies, please share a link in the comments so we can see how yours are doing, too.

Posted by on August 3, 2011 at 5:25 am, in the category Eat This.

8 Responses to “The Grafted Tomato Test Continues”

1. Meg Shinn says:

Hi, Amy — I received some trial plants too and I blogged about them last week here:
    Since then I’ve pruned off a bunch of branches. My grafted plant has more tomatoes than the nongrafted and just seems overall sturdier. I hope to post an update in a few weeks & will look forward to seeing more about yours too!
    —Meg at Horticulture

2. I planted mine in too much shade, so I have very, very vigorous plants, but no fruit. Grrr.

But, talking to my local CSA farmer who used to work for a large Mexican tomato growing operation says that they grew from grafted tomatoes not for the yield but for the protection they offered from soil-born diseases.

3. naomi says:

Nice. I looked at my Spring planted tomatoes yesterday, five which yielded seven tomatoes. I left them, to see if they’d come back when it cools here. I have these sad, spindly sticks with a fair amount of green leaves hanging on at the top. Am I foolish? I don’t know.

4. Jay Higgins says:

So far the grafted tomato plants are healthier than the others i’ve planted. I’ve had an early problem with powdery mildew and other fungus issues, but the grafted tomato plants have so far resisted the affects of the various fungus problems in my garden.

5. Genevieve says:

My grafted tomatoes from Log House Plants are growing similarly well, with some green tomatoes teasing me. The seed-grown ones started earlier in the season are about 1/3 the size.

6. Jessi B says:

I got my first grafted tomato from the Seattle Fling a couple of weeks ago and the plant is still a little smaller than my seed grown varieties. I’m anxious to see how it does in comparison and I planned on blogging about it afterwards- hopefully I’ll get some ripe fruit before the season ends!

7. Frank Hyman says:

I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.

8. John Campbell says:

I got my grafts from John Bagnasco , and some excellent service BTW: I started some 40 plants and across the board the double grafts from John are doing better than my starts from seed. jccampb