What's Happening

Top Pick for September – Monticello’s Heritage Harvest Festival

Monticello I visited Thomas Jefferson's Monticello last week and will be posting about it soon but in the meantime, here's a quick plug for their fabulous Heritage Harvest Festival - coming up in just three weeks, so make your plans now to go.

As though Monticello weren't already awesome enough on any day of the year, this event, in just its second year, looks so good I may just go again, rather than miss it.

Yes, P. Allen Smith is the headliner but if TV gardening hosts don't inspire YOU (because you're already a serious gardeners) get a load of the 70 other presenters, represented in this collage of real farmers, chefs, seed collectors, goat ranchers, and so on.

AAAAUGUST13

Posted by on August 28, 2011 at 3:53 am, in the category What's Happening.

10 Responses to “Top Pick for September – Monticello’s Heritage Harvest Festival”

1. maria says:

You are so a lucky person to be able to visit Monticello.

Maybe next year I’ll be able to go.
    Marie

2. tibs says:

Glad to see 4-H included on the list.

3. Laura Bell says:

Much as I would love to go, my kids have begun school & someone has to see that make it there … Maybe in a few years [sigh].

4. John says:

I went last year and had a blast. Going this year along with a side trip to Edible Landscaping in Afton (Michael is one of the speakers at the festival).

5. Frank Hyman says:

If you go, do check out the nearby nursery called Edible Landscaping. Michael focuses on edible plants that can be grown in the south using organic methods. And he’s pretty entertaining too.

6. susan harris says:

That’s two recommendations that I visit Michael at Edible Landscaping, so it’s a deal. My family had an orchard in Afton until my dad died 10 years ago; I’d love to see it again.

7. John says:

Michael will be at the festival manning a booth selling plants and giving lectures (often with his guitar) the nursery is usually open while he is away – but he is worth the trip so make sure you talk to him.

He allows you to sample the fruit off the trees and vines at the nursery while you walk around – way cool.

8. Woo says:

Yeah, you have to go to Edible Landscaping. McConkey is a serious trip. Someone you have to meet. Anyone too far to make the trip can order plants online too: http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/

Among some other things, I have a pomegranate from him….in Virginia!!!

9. cellbioprof says:

I love Monticello, but do not ignore the Mother Earth News Fair at Seven Springs, PA on Sept 24 & 25. All things sustainable, including many presentations by well-known gardeners and garden writers. http://www.motherearthnews.com/fair/home.aspx

10. Pam J. says:

Earlier today I saw this post and was so surprised to see an old high school classmate in the four-person photo montage. It was Mike McConkey — second picture from the left. My husband and I see him at high school reunions and this is everyone’s standard comment: he was the best dancer in high school (almost 50 years ago!) and he’s still the best dancer. Always smiling: then and now. He worked at the charming (and still in business) Beautiful Day Trading Company — combination vegetarian cafe-grocery store-music venue in College Park in the 60s and/or 70s, so his interest in whole, real, unprocessed foods goes way back. Nice to hear so many people say such nice things about Mike!