Uncategorized

This is what I tell myself

I wouldn’t even want my hakonechloa to be this big. It would be too much. Yeah, right.

This is what I tell myself

Posted by on July 23, 2011 at 1:46 pm, in the category Uncategorized.

15 responses to “This is what I tell myself”

1. Is this at the Elisabeth Miller garden in Seattle? Betty Miller introduced Hakonechloa macra ‘Aureola’ to Seattle in the 1950’s I think–anyway she was the first to have it there.

2. Eliz says:

No, we were not able to tour it, but we discussed her!

3. Half the reason I even bought some hakonechloa was because of the ones I saw at the Bellevue Botanical Garden and they just sit there doing nothing, mocking me.

4. Jenn says:

WANT! That’s just too fab. Lustworthy.

5. Ailsa says:

Wow – that is glorious! One’s tendency is to jam it up against something to make a skirt, but giving it space like that really allows it to shine. I find the species is hard to find now since all the cvs have hit the market.

6. Kaveh says:

That is lovely. I had an amazing specimen of Hakonechloa macra ‘Albo Striata’ in my old front garden and someone came and dug a huge chunk of it out.

7. Wow, thank you for posting this! I am a new gardener and I keep driving by one of these gorgeous plants on one of my daily routes. I wanted to know what it was… and now I do. Are they really hard to find?

8. tibs says:

I got my first “okey fenokey” grass (as I call it, for some reason I can remember the name of some southern swamp but not this plant) probably 15 to 18 years ago. It likes my garden a lot. I have one in the front of the house that looks like that, a lovely river flowing and spilling out from the hostas. I split it and start it other places. It is probably my fav. plant. Ok, fav shade plant.

9. Don says:

They certainly don’t look like this on the east coast. They tend to be half that size and sort of hang over the edge of a planting. That is so sculptural! Thanks for sharing!

10. Melody says:

Pictures like this are why I have tried it twice. Guess they really don’t like southern hot weather, because they just slowly dwindled away.

11. Jodi says:

Plantkiller, Bluestone Perennials has it, as well as two additional varieties. They are online, and I have had good experiences ordering from them for about 7 years.

12. Thanks for the tip, I am inspired!

13. Gail says:

Mine is about 10 years old in pretty much full shade and about 16% that size. I’m surprised it is even surviving in Wisconsin. I have another but smaller yet……

14. I’m loving Tib’s “okey fenokey” name for the grass. Glad that I’m not alone naming and remembering my plants the way I want to. My Contorted Filbert is named Curly (but of course). And my birdbath is named Phil (cuz you always have Phil the birdbath.) Now I have to get “okey fenokey” just so I have a reason to say those fun words.

15. Know I am slightly obsessed with this topic but wanted to report the following possible (and awesome) hakonechloa sighting in Fitchburg, Mass.

I posted a pic on my blog here and linked to your pic: http://plantkiller.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/cousin-it/

The comment above that these plants don’t get this big on the East Coast inspired me to share with you guys… would love feedback on whether this is indeed the same plant!