Uncategorized

The Natural Beauty of New Orleans

New orleans 1

I love this city, I really do.  I especially love it in July, when it is so lush and overgrown that you feel like you’d better not stand still lest a passionvine get hold of you. (I have better pictures of the French Quarter’s flora somewhere around here, but for the moment, this’ll have to do.) Most of the balconies are far more colorful than this–think geranium, bougainvillea, all those crazy coleus–it’s really my kind of gardening, all lush and tropical and gaudy and steamy.

But I’m not going to New Orleans for the plants.  I’m going for this:

New Orleans 2

Ah, yes.  The drinking.  Tales of the Cocktail, to be specific. A wonderous cockail industry conference that is open to bartenders, distillers, writers, drinkers–really, anyone with fifty bucks in their pocket can show up and take a class on the history of rum or the legends of Irish whiskey.  I wish I could encourage you all to come, but I see the seminars are almost entirely sold out. Clearly this event has room to grow.

And yes, it’s (shhhhhhh!) research for the next book!  I do pick the most difficult subjects.

So I’ll see you in a week.  If I can find my way back to the airport after the debauchery.

Posted by on July 20, 2011 at 4:02 am, in the category Uncategorized.

7 responses to “The Natural Beauty of New Orleans”

1. greg draiss says:

Dirty disgusting city………..hiding behind a shroud like Baltimore. There is nothing redeeming about this slime ball city
    The TROLL

2. naomi says:

Thanks for highlighting my city – I’ll drink to that. (I do wonder why “the troll” is so vitriolic about my town – tell him to come down and we’ll take care of his pain as well.)

3. Pam J. says:

What IS it with the troll and his hatred for so much in this world, including entire cities (that he may or may not have even visited)? Baltimore is just up the road from me and I have friends and relatives who live full and rich lives in that city so I’m offended on their behalf that he calls it a slime ball city. Where does such anger and rage come from? A little frightening to see it displayed on such a pleasant blog about plants and gardening.

4. Laura Bell says:

Wow, Greg. Many thousands of tourists & conventioneers each year would disagree with you. NOLA is full of charm & character, with lots to offer to families, couples,& singles, history buffs, braniacs, or partiers. Too bad you are so busy viewing the world in an odious light to see that.

Amy have lots of fun in gorgeous New Orleans – and a bowl of gumbo, some beignets, pralines, etoufee, anything in tasso sauce, crawdads … Oh my, I’m hungry now !

5. Amy Stewart says:

Dear Greg,

Is it at all possible that we could simply ask you nicely to stop posting mean, insulting comments? We really don’t want to be in the business of banning commenters and deleting comments and otherwise policing people who should already know how to behave themselves.

6. Get thee to The Green Goddess Restaurant if at all possible! You need to, for research, right?

7. Jennifer B. says:

Amy, thanks for the post on our city. It did not rain for 2 months and now it is all we have every day. The comment about passionvine is so true! Left on their own for only 10 days and the passiflora tendrils have strung up the bougainvillea and are turning the corner of the fence and on to the patio.
    Can’t wait to hear your tales of the cocktails!
    Hope you made it to Cure on Freret and d.b.a. for good beer & music.
    Lastly, shame on this ‘Troll’ for picking on a city he evidently has not experienced firsthand.