Uncategorized

More Gardenlike

IMG_3879

Here's my new garden, made Memorial Day weekend.  By now, I've moved beyond excitement into impatience. I'm ready be eating something from here besides the instantaneous leaf crops–arugula, romaine, cilantro. I'm ready for a cucumber.

Posted by on July 8, 2011 at 7:51 am, in the category Uncategorized.

7 responses to “More Gardenlike”

1. trey says:

Your garden looks great. I may just have to copy your pole supports. As far as impatience goes, I have green tomatoes that just will not turn red. They mock me.

2. This has been the slowest year ever for the cucumbers. I think they resent me planting them in mid-May when it is still a bit cool. Next year … if I am not so impatient … I’ll wait to June 1st to seed them.

3. anne says:

That’s beautiful!

What do you think about the compost/mulch now–is it keeping the weeds at bay?

4. Michele Owens says:

Anne, I’m pulling bits of grass, plus the occasional dandelion and common violet, out of my beds.

This, compared to the labor of ripping sod off of 800 square feet, is no trouble at all.

I managed to kill most of the grass with a about four inches of compost. I think my previous failures with lasagna gardening were about too little compost.

5. Lu says:

Wow, I didn’t know Saratoga is so much colder than Albany.
    Here I already harvested most of the carrots, lots of peas, zuccinis and onions (from sets). I even had the first cucumber two days ago.
    My tomatoes are hopelessly green though…

6. Joan says:

Hi, Michele—I’ve read your book and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it and learned from it. I found it so encouraging as well. I love that I don’t have to worry about the age of wood chips!
    I think I read the chapter on soil at least three times.
    I’m looking forward to seeing how your new garden progresses.

7. Lorin says:

You couldn’t pay me to irngoe these posts!