Real Gardens

Front Yards are for Partying!

Especially front yards along July 4th Parade routes.  Here's a sampling of people-filled front yards in Takoma Park, Maryland yesterday morning.  The weather was perfect.

IMG_2992
Note the swimming pools.

IMG_3078

IMG_2997

Okay, this one is actually a front porch and balcony party.IMG_3015

IMG_3016

IMG_3021
Even in a nonelection year, residents show their support for a local pol.

IMG_3027

IMG_3047

IMG_3046
Now what's terrible for partying is the type of front yard I like best – all-garden with no lawn.  These people have even turned their hell strip into a perennial garden, shown here in the foreground. Lovely.

Posted by on July 5, 2011 at 3:46 am, in the category Real Gardens.

9 Responses to “Front Yards are for Partying!”

1. commonweeder says:

You must have a big parade. Here the Hat and Gloves parade is at 8 am, modest in every sense. It is called the hat and glove parade because those are the only parts of their uniforms our vets can still wear.

2. H. Mikael says:

I visited a friend in Takoma Park once and I found that place extremely quaint and filled with ultra-friendly people … unusual for being so close to Washington DC.

3. Margit VanSchaick says:

Thank you for posting these colorful, fun-filled photos! I feel like

I attended all these wonderful get-togethers. Reminds me of the time I lived in the Old West End in Toledo, Ohio. Wonderful houses and a real neighborhood. These photos exude Summer happiness—-

4. Sandra Knauf says:

Love it. The people look very relaxed, happy and friendly and the homes are SO architecturally interesting. The quintessential cottage style garden in the last picture rocks!

5. Perfect. What a great example how yards can bring people together.

6. Deirdre says:

I WANT that third house!

7. Town Mouse says:

Great photos! Now, I’d like to disagree regarding the no-lawn front garden. My front garden has a seating area and enough open space – covered with the dreaded bark mulch – to add at least 10 more chairs. It all depends on how much you plant and how much you water….

8. Laura says:

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I got excited to see all of the parties and felt like I was sharing in the joy. I also enjoyed the celebration of independence from traditional yards illustrated by these photos!

9. Michelle D says:

Look at how nice and welcoming the homes with front lawn suited the public. This must be why lawns in context and proportion can be considered a rather pleasant landscaping element.
    who would da thunk ?