Ministry of Controversy

Reefer madness at Scotts Miracle-Gro

You'd think that our friends at S M-G were doing pretty well with their $2.9 billion of sales, but according to stories posted last week at a number of news sites, including here, it's not enough. They're coming for the stoners. Here's Chief Executive Jim Hagedorn: “I want to target the pot market,” Hagedorn said in an interview. “There's no good reason we haven't.”

Read the Wall Street Journal article here, which gives some of the strategic reasons for this move. As I was discussing earlier today, big box revenues aren't what they used to be, so it's time for some diversification.

Posted by on June 20, 2011 at 11:33 am, in the category Ministry of Controversy.

9 Responses to “Reefer madness at Scotts Miracle-Gro”

1. when I lived in Ohio, I discovered a store near me called “Garden Indoors” and I was delighted to find they had an impressive selection of high-powered grow lights! But when I was shopping there, to get things for seed starting, I was confused. I pretty much know the normal garden center demographic, and customers at this place seemed unusually young and spacey… And why was the sales guy giving me so many tips on growing “Basil” with a knowing nod and wink? Then I figured it out…

2. shira says:

I have a friend who was prescribed medical marijuana in Oregon to help with the unpleasant side effects of chemotherapy. At the same time, he radically tried to reduce the amount of chemicals his body was taking in through, pesticides, processed foods, etc., with the firm belief that this was a factor in his getting cancer in his 30′s. I don’t think he would’ve been happy if his “supply” had been grown with Miracle Gro – so now are we going to have organic, and non-organic pot???

3. Susan says:

Please just tell me that Monsanto won’t be getting into GMO pot…..

4. Matt says:

Geez, now what are hippies going to smoke, if even their pot is being grown commercially and with pesticides.

5. UrsulaV says:

Actually, I’m pretty sure my ex-husband was already using Miracle-Gro in the “special closet” back in college.

6. Kaviani says:

I can tell you hydroponic growers don’t use a thing resembling organic, and that’s the bulk of indoor operations in the country. Scotts would not need to try all that hard.

7. Cindy says:

Dr. Earth is joining the stoners with “POTting soil” for medicinal gardens.

8. How can Jim Hagedorn sleep at night.

9. greg draiss says:

hydroponic growers don’t use a thing resembling organic……………

that is changing Fox Farm is huge in the indorr herb growers amunition cabinet

THE TROLL