Who's Ranting About Us

Michele swoons over Capitol Columns at the National Arboretum

IMG_2933

Pictures must be taken!  Even without a single bloom in the shot.  (Here's one with cherry blossoms.)  You can just barely tell from here, but the acreage around the columns is meadow, not mowed.

Next, the columns up close.

IMG_8045

These columns from the U.S. Capitol were deemed not substantial enough for the larger-than-expected Capitol Dome – it was a big honking design error! The solution was to remove them, which was done in 1954, and they were located here in 1984.

This link tells more about them.

Posted by on June 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm, in the category Who's Ranting About Us.

6 Responses to “Michele swoons over Capitol Columns at the National Arboretum”

1. sarah says:

Now those are some really impressive objet trouves! Me, I have some old tiki torches I spray painted different colors in my yard.

2. Laura Bell says:

Reminds me of the Forks of Cypress ruins near my childhood home, only more elegant. And maintained.

I’m hoping to take my kids out to to DC next Spring – we will most definitely have to make a stop at the Arboretum.

3. Jenn says:

They weren’t there the last time I was on the mall. Very cool.

4. susan harris says:

Jenn, the National Arboretum is way off in the Northeast part of DC, where hardly anybody can find it. Unfortunately, far, far from the Mall, where at least you can find the U.S. Botanic Garden, which is also wonderful.

5. Gail says:

Hey in 200-300 years they should really be looking good. Planning a stop in DC later this year I will have to check them out.

6. If a latticed roof-like structure was added, it’d be great for wisteria and other flowering vines…just wishing I had a pergola or an arbor for some.

They sure are impressive columns, though.