Uncategorized

Looking Even More Like A Garden

IMG_3816

Not bad for three days' work over Memorial Day Weekend.

IMG_3821

Posted by on June 17, 2011 at 6:38 am, in the category Uncategorized.

19 responses to “Looking Even More Like A Garden”

1. Jess says:

nope, it would take me half a season to do that πŸ˜‰

2. Leslie says:

That looks great…I hope you have a wonderful inaugural year!

3. Suzanne says:

Beautiful! Post another picture in a month. It will be filled in and we can see what you planted. Love the dog…
    Suzanne

4. Michele Owens says:

Oh, the DOG is the greatest. Henry. Love of my life.

5. Are you willing to share how much money it cost? If you know — I have trouble keeping track of what I’ve spent on my garden.

6. Kathy Ormiston says:

Tell us about the fence. Thanks!

7. Michele Owens says:

Sure–the garden cost $140 in compost and $450 in fencing. I went halfsies with a neighbor on a giant 10 or 12 yard pile of arborist’s woodchips that cost $100. Most of my share went to mulching the paths in the school garden. So assume an extra $10 there for this garden. I’ll easily save the $600 I have into this space on farmers’ market vegetables this year alone.

The fence comes from Lowe’s. It won’t last a lifetime–it’s hollow steel, not cast iron–but it makes up for that in economy and ease of installation. My son and I were able to put it up in an hour. And I think it’s good-looking.

8. Val says:

It IS good-looking. You may have saved my back, hips, etc., and gotten me off the dig-up-the-sod rigamarole.

9. commonweeder says:

I think that is a very handsome fence. We can’t all have wrought iron, after all. And we don’t garden to have an expensive fence. Much better spend money on compost and mulch – and seeds and plants and good tools.

10. hb says:

Memorial Day is past already!?! Jeez where was I? Garden looks great, but the dog is even more handsome than the garden.

11. tropaeolum says:

It does look great. I’ve been gardening the same spot for a decade and it doesn’t look half that good.

Michele, what’s coming up now? I see something planted along the Lowe’s fence and a patch of green in the middle. Looks like there are some seedlings throughout.

12. anne says:

Your garden is lovely, good job! But I have to think you have more than $600 into the garden if the cost of the plants is taken into account as well? Or are you starting from your own saved seed or donated plants?

13. Lovely — the fenced border is very nice as well! I also like the canine guardian in the second shot…

14. Looks great! I like your trellis is it bamboo. The garden reminds me of the vegetable one at Longwood Gardens.

15. luise h. says:

It looks wonderful Michele. Love the fence, it dresses it up so nice.

16. Is the dog guarding the garden?

17. Sally says:

Woah! Very impressed, especially after seeing the very first picture you posted. Love the fence and your puppy dog…

18. Li'l Ned says:

Sweet! Not being a big dog lover, I like seeing the dog OUTSIDE the fence. :) I would love to see closeups of your bean structure. I am engineeringly challenged when it comes to erecting trelli, pea/bean supports, etc. I have a whole stack of big bamboo poles available, but have so far succeeded only in building big, unwieldy things that fall down in the first windstorm.

This looks super. I think the fencing adds an air of instant elegance that is worth any price.

19. sarah says:

beautiful garden, awesome dog. Henry’s got star power!