Uncategorized

Looking Even More Like A Garden

IMG_3816

Not bad for three days' work over Memorial Day Weekend.

IMG_3821

Posted by on June 17, 2011 at 6:38 am, in the category Uncategorized.

19 responses to “Looking Even More Like A Garden”

1. sarah says:

beautiful garden, awesome dog. Henry’s got star power!

2. Li'l Ned says:

Sweet! Not being a big dog lover, I like seeing the dog OUTSIDE the fence. :) I would love to see closeups of your bean structure. I am engineeringly challenged when it comes to erecting trelli, pea/bean supports, etc. I have a whole stack of big bamboo poles available, but have so far succeeded only in building big, unwieldy things that fall down in the first windstorm.

This looks super. I think the fencing adds an air of instant elegance that is worth any price.

3. Sally says:

Woah! Very impressed, especially after seeing the very first picture you posted. Love the fence and your puppy dog…

4. Is the dog guarding the garden?

5. luise h. says:

It looks wonderful Michele. Love the fence, it dresses it up so nice.

6. Looks great! I like your trellis is it bamboo. The garden reminds me of the vegetable one at Longwood Gardens.

7. Lovely — the fenced border is very nice as well! I also like the canine guardian in the second shot…

8. anne says:

Your garden is lovely, good job! But I have to think you have more than $600 into the garden if the cost of the plants is taken into account as well? Or are you starting from your own saved seed or donated plants?

9. tropaeolum says:

It does look great. I’ve been gardening the same spot for a decade and it doesn’t look half that good.

Michele, what’s coming up now? I see something planted along the Lowe’s fence and a patch of green in the middle. Looks like there are some seedlings throughout.

10. hb says:

Memorial Day is past already!?! Jeez where was I? Garden looks great, but the dog is even more handsome than the garden.

11. commonweeder says:

I think that is a very handsome fence. We can’t all have wrought iron, after all. And we don’t garden to have an expensive fence. Much better spend money on compost and mulch – and seeds and plants and good tools.

12. Val says:

It IS good-looking. You may have saved my back, hips, etc., and gotten me off the dig-up-the-sod rigamarole.

13. Michele Owens says:

Sure–the garden cost $140 in compost and $450 in fencing. I went halfsies with a neighbor on a giant 10 or 12 yard pile of arborist’s woodchips that cost $100. Most of my share went to mulching the paths in the school garden. So assume an extra $10 there for this garden. I’ll easily save the $600 I have into this space on farmers’ market vegetables this year alone.

The fence comes from Lowe’s. It won’t last a lifetime–it’s hollow steel, not cast iron–but it makes up for that in economy and ease of installation. My son and I were able to put it up in an hour. And I think it’s good-looking.

14. Kathy Ormiston says:

Tell us about the fence. Thanks!

15. Are you willing to share how much money it cost? If you know — I have trouble keeping track of what I’ve spent on my garden.

16. Michele Owens says:

Oh, the DOG is the greatest. Henry. Love of my life.

17. Suzanne says:

Beautiful! Post another picture in a month. It will be filled in and we can see what you planted. Love the dog…
    Suzanne

18. Leslie says:

That looks great…I hope you have a wonderful inaugural year!

19. Jess says: