Uncategorized

Looking aruncular

My friend Sally calls aruncus (goatsbeard) “poor woman’s shrub” and you can see why here–in a lovely garden behind the Lake Placid public library.

Looking aruncular

Posted by on June 27, 2011 at 8:08 am, in the category Uncategorized.

11 responses to “Looking aruncular”

1. anne says:

I’m a little slow on the uptake; why “poor woman’s shrub”–because it spreads rapidly? I’m not familiar with this plant. I think it looks cool.

2. Eliz says:

Yes, it’s a fast grower, so a $8 perennial (or free division) quickly becomes shrub-size.

3. Looks an interesting plant/shrub. Ive not seen a poor womans shrub before but I think itd look good in the corner of my garden

4. Deirdre says:

They’re native here in the Pacific northwest. They’re adapted to our summer drought. They do most of their growth in the spring when we have plenty of rain. They only run rampant if you give them water in the summer.

5. Michele Owens says:

They don’t just spread pleasingly, they seed themselves in my yard. I’m not complaining. The only thing better than one aruncus is 40.

6. They don’t get that big or spread like that in NC. I see them all over, but usually at 3 foot max at top of bloom and as single plants not colonies.

7. commonweeder says:

I like the title ‘poor woman’s shrub’. As we get older our gardens need more space loving shrubs, and this plant will not come with great cost, but lots of interest.

8. Nancy says:

I purchased two a few years ago at a local Audubon native plant center; tiny plants and only a couple of bucks each.
    They grow to 5′ tall and 3′ wide every spring and make a great back round plant in a shady, moist border. They received a lot of positive comments and interest on our Garden Club’s Tour this year.

9. Nancy says:

Oh! And they have never reseeded–wish they would so I could share.

10. Lisa, Ontario says:

I bought 3 a couple years ago, they came with a warning that they spread vigorously. I had them in their own bed, but when I saw where the suckers were coming up I dug up the whole bunch and got rid of them at the curb. I have a small yard, and I don’t have room for thugs.

11. luise h. says:

I have had two of them for six years now. Sad to say they do not re-seed in my Garden (Zone6) and they do not grow more than 4ft tall. I do love how they look in the spring with their frothy flower spikes.