Everybody's a Critic

Free issue of Landscape Architecture Magazine

LAMcover Did you know that April is National Landscape Architecture Month?  Me, neither, but I know about it now because there's something in it for us gardeners – a free issue of Landscape Architecture Magazine.  Just click here to enjoy THE most interesting publication related to gardening, bar none.  (IMHO and all that.)

What's in it
You'll first notice the cover story about a park on a former dump site in Cairo and how it revived an impoverished neighborhood.

The connection between bee problems and pesticides.

The new tree/shrub app from Michael Dirr.

What's hopefully a new regular feature about species by Constance Casey, whose garden writing for Slate I greatly admired and now greatly miss.

Linda McIntyre's regular feature about innovations, what she calls "the ugly stuff" and I call interesting.

Former editor Bill Marken on design.

Redesign ideas for the Minneapolis waterfront, admittedly the type of city planning feature that I rarely read.  Glad others do, though.

And a topic that's way too geeky for the average gardener – building better metrics.  Whatever.

About recent changes

Now as a long-time reader, I have to weigh in on the magazine's new design, about which I have some complaints.  The fonts are less readable, it's hard to tell where new articles start, and the section titles ("Foreground" and "The Back") are odd and unhelpful.

But content-wise, the magazine is as good as ever – maybe even better than ever – under new editor Bradford McKee.  Its articles combat one often-heard complaint about members of the profession – that they're not interested in plants – and inform the reader that landscape architects are at the forefront of innovative, environmentally progressive design and implementation.  They have to be – their clients are striving for LEED ratings, cost savings, and better outdoor spaces for millions of us.

Posted by on April 12, 2011 at 4:45 am, in the category Everybody's a Critic.

5 Responses to “Free issue of Landscape Architecture Magazine”

1. jeff z says:

woohoo! Thanks for the love. I was worried that Garden Rant was turning against landscape architects when the review of the Ogdens’ book reduced us to ‘those “well-dressed professionals” who put buildings first and plants last.’

There’s a lot of diversity among LA’s and most of us are gardeners, even though we may not be able to wear it on our sleeves in our workplaces.

If the above link to LAM is overloaded or unavailable, I have posted it on my blog as well under the heading “Landscape Architecture month” See it at:
    eighthacrefarm.blogspot.com

2. jeff z says:

Sorry! the link to the magazine in the above comment should be:

3. commonweeder says:

I have occasionally run into this book and it has made for fascinating reading. And thank you Jeff z for the good link.

4. Nora says:

I am an architect during the week, and a gardener on the weekend. The magazine is intruiging to me, as it seems to combine both of those passions. I am always a little disappointed in the ‘design’ content in regular gardening magazines. I’ll have to track this one down. Thanks for the post!

5. tibs says:

Thanks for the link. I just read it cover to cover and may have to subscribe. Fiinally something that has design, plants and planning.