I Don't Have a Garden, but I Watch One on TV

Really, a movie about garden gnomes? In 3D?

AA-FEB7

When I first heard about the movie "Gnomeo and Juliet", I wasn't exactly optimistic about a movie about garden gnomes, especially if it's in 3D.  But here's what NPR's Kenneth Turan has to say about it:

What's in a name, after all? No one could be more surprised than I was to discover that a film called "Gnomeo & Juliet" – that's Gnomeo as in garden gnome – is the pleasantest Gnomeo4surprise of the season.

The setting of the film is not ancient Verona but Verona Drive in today's Stratford on Avon. Neighbors Miss Montague and Mr. Capulet certainly dislike each other, but the heavy lifting in their feud is done by dueling teams of blue and red British garden gnomes, headed by Maggie Smith and Michael Caine.

"Gnomeo & Juliet" is an inside look at the secret life of gnomes. They freeze in place whenever humans appear, but they're active and animated when flesh and blood individuals aren't around. They tend to their owners' gardens and engage in lawnmower drag races, with the starter role going to Dolly Gnome, voiced by Parton herself.

Playful, inventive and endearing, this 84-minute epic is smart enough not to overstay its welcome as it steers clear of the fatuous and the formulaic.

All that, and music by Elton John!  Do you think it's okay for an adult to go unaccompanied by a child?

Posted by on February 14, 2011 at 4:43 am, in the category I Don't Have a Garden, but I Watch One on TV.

9 Responses to “Really, a movie about garden gnomes? In 3D?”

1. Tara Dillard says:

What gardener could possibly not see Gnomeo & Juliet on the big screen?

Went with my adult-only self, no kids, & saw it in 3D yesterday.

Loved it.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

2. Susan says:

I had my doubts about the whole enterprise, but after reading this review I think we’ll have to go see it! It’s also nice to see that at just slightly over an hour, they had the good sense to avoid stretching something that thin out over 2 or more hours, as too many movies do today. Thanks for the heads-up!

3. Laura says:

Thanks for the recommendation!

4. Nina says:

Romeo voiced by James McAvoy…….. oh my yes, I’ll go!

5. TufaGirl says:

My husband and I went this weekend. Many adults in our theater as all the kids were in the other movie watching Justin Beimer.

6. Can’t wait to see the movie, but I have a single huge fear–that gnomes-in-the-garden will become the cool thing this year.
    (OH NO!!!)

7. Lynn Bay says:

Do you think taking my six month old granddaughter to see it is out of line? It hasn’t gotten to my town yet but can’t wait to see it. I wonder if they know something we don’t.

8. Lisa, Ontario says:

Oh my. I really didn’t like it, and I thought that I would. Any movie (or in real life) that shows vindictive behaviour and destroying other people’s property really disturbs me. I don’t care if you don’t like someone, that’s fine, but it doesn’t give you the right to vandalize their property. Ever.