Unusually Clever People

Annie Proulx, Garden Writer

Annie Proulx's garden bibliography, as near as I can tell:

Proulx, A., & Nichols, L. (1980). Sweet & hard cider: Making it, using it, & enjoying it. Charlotte, Vt: Garden Way Pub.

Proulx, A. (1980). Great grapes: Grow the best ever. Pownal, Vt: Storey Communications.

Proulx, A. (1980). Making the best apple cider. Charlotte, Vt: Garden Way.

Proulx, A. (1981). "What'll you take for it?": Back to barter. Charlotte, Vt: Garden Way Pub.

Proulx, A. (1981). Make your own insulated window shutters. Charlotte, Vt: Garden Way.

Proulx, A., & Nichols, L. (1982). The complete dairy foods cookbook: How to make everything from cheese to custard in your own kitchen. Emmaus, Pa: Rodale Press.

Proulx, A. (1983). The gardener's journal and record book. Emmaus, Pa: Rodale Press.

Proulx, A. (1983). Plan and make your own fences & gates, walkways, walls & drives. Emmaus, Pa: Rodale Press.

Proulx, A. (1985). The fine art of salad gardening. Emmaus, Pa: Rodale Press.

Proulx, A. (1987). The gourmet gardener: Growing choice fruits and vegetables with spectacular results. New York: Fawcett Columbine.

Posted by on February 2, 2011 at 3:53 am, in the category Unusually Clever People.

25 Responses to “Annie Proulx, Garden Writer”

1. Thank you for this information. I love her storys an novels.In Germany Brokeback Mountain was a success, but no one seems to know that she wrote the story.

2. Tara Dillard says:

Can’t remember which Proulx novel, a dog was in peril. Many bad things had already happened in the book, so, I knew if the dog died I would read no further. The dog lived but not another good thing happened in the book.

Hmm, decided to stay away from her books.

Ha, until this morning. Thank you for the tidbit.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

3. Elaine says:

Wow! I own two of her older books (the walkways one and the insulating shutters) – but I never made the connection to THE Annie Proulx. Thanks for the research!

4. Li'l Ned says:

I’m no Annie Proulx but I can say life definitely changed after I turned 58. Second Saturn Return! is a major reality check and all you young(er) ladies can just go ahead and take it from me — life deepens and interests both expand and concentrate. Cool to know the gardening book Annie Proulx (I’ve read several of the Storey booklets) is the same as the novelist.

5. Michele Owens says:

Fantastic piece, Amy! Thank you I was very curious about Annie Proulx’s earlier work when I read in the NY Times that she’d written about gardening.

I must not be highly evolved personally. I am just so delighted at 50 to be opening a box of gardening books with my name on it for the first time, instead of books written for someone else, as enjoyable as that was.

I’ll leave fiction to those writers who actually find people more interesting than plants.

6. Lisa, Ontario says:

I’m only 43, but my life has improved significantly since turning 40. I am more “me” than I have ever been. My interests are still there, but there are new ones that I am not afraid to dive into. Oddly enough I would not have been brave enough to try mountain biking or trail running when I was in my 30′s. Well maybe I would have been, if I had the people in my life that I do now. There are no limits now!

7. Jim Freeman says:

At the risk of jumping in with a “me, too” I can say that Ms. Proulx’s career arc, and even just that she spent that much time garden writing at all, definitely inspires a 40-something primary parent Dad who’s still trying to figure out the right balance of work and family. Sound familiar?

Jim

8. Beautiful post. Garden writers are in such good company. I love the energy and brilliance of those who are older and wiser
    –smart enough and brave enough to do many amazing things if they choose to. Fiction writing is much more challenging; you not only have to examine and illuminate a world, but you have to create that world first. Hats off to Annie Proulx.

9. I’ve got The Shipping News and Postcards, but didn’t know she was a garden writer! Thanks for the enlightenment, Amy!

10. Susan says:

I believe that Annie Proulx was also a food writer for Yankee Magazine for several years – her articles in that forum were always an enjoyable and enlightening read!

11. Frederique Lavoipierre says:

Annie is an inspiration to me! At 56, I feel like my best years are yet to be!

12. commonweeder says:

Here in Heath we love Annie Proulx and our library keeps her books circulating.

13. anne says:

I love Annie Proulx’s writing, especially her short stories, and I owned her cider-making book before “Heartsongs” came out.

As for her “transition” to fiction writing, I think she says it best (“What’s reflected in my fiction did not so much jump from manuals on grape growing and fence mending as from very serious academic hours in libraries and archives and an inborn curiosity about life.”) Apparently she was already putting in the time and effort at fiction writing long before any fiction got published. The message I take from that? Whatever it is that you want to do, don’t put it off–start doing it!

14. Saxon says:

What a fine writer (both of you…). Didn’t know her garden writing but can see she had a bigger audience. We all need to be alert to where our passions steer us …

15. Katie says:

Amy-what a COOL blog POST ;)
    I’m such a word nerd that these sorts of research-oriented book quests are really fun to read.

I love the part about producing something vile!

16. Benita says:

Kudos for all of us “seasoned” human beings and especially to Amy for such a terrific post.

17. That was supremely interesting. Thanks. I never knew she was a great opinionated garden writer. She would make a good Ranter wouldn’t she? I loved the one about putrification vs. fermentation especially the part about the rat.~~Dee

18. Jen says:

How interesting! Someone who read the new memoir was telling me how self-sufficient and independent she is – and not afraid to be alone in the middle of nowhere. Now we know why! The excerpts you included were great.

19. Annie is a brilliant writer. These passages from the salad garden book are a reminder of the early days writing copy for The Cook’s Garden catalog. We relied on her prose for inspiration to describe the 100′s of lettuces in our fields. Her clear voice and insight lead to descriptions of what we often take for granted. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

20. Pam/Digging says:

I think I own all of her novels and short stories, and I had the pleasure of meeting her in Austin years ago, but I had no idea of her garden-writer history. How interesting. Beautiful writing, even back then.

21. Bobby Ward says:

Thank you, Amy. A good overview of Proulx’s “unknown” writings.

22. Marte says:

A wonderful post, thanks Amy!

23. Liz says:

Just wanted to drop in and say that I love her work and to thank you for the always interesting post!

24. Jason says:

Great little known facts about a great author.

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to add some of these to my to-be-read list.

25. ryan says:

Wow this post really stands out. I had no idea she wrote all that stuff. She sounds kind of manic in those quotes, like there is a definite element of internet crack-pot in her writing.