Uncategorized

College drop-out Frank Hyman – career mentor for our times?

Frankhyman I love Frank Hyman's article in the New York Times about making a career out of his seven hobbies, one of which is gardening.  Another of which is politics, for which he made the ultimate sacrifice – cutting off his ponytail.  (Frank, how about a photo?)

We met Frank at the GWA meeting in Raleigh, for which he was a local organizer, and you may remember his guest rant about the anti-lawn "Blitzkrieg".

Posted by on January 15, 2011 at 5:17 am, in the category Uncategorized.

12 responses to “College drop-out Frank Hyman – career mentor for our times?”

1. K.B. says:

Why just pick on golfers? What about lawn bowlers, and cricketers, and children in playgrounds, and school yards, and parks and picnic areas… and of course, any home owner that wants a patch of grass for children and/or pets.

Sorry, but as much as I don’t think we should be using intensive irrigation and chemicals for ANY turf, the large areas of turf in our urban areas actually do play a roll in the environment. Personally, I’d rather see a golf course (or a park, or a playground, or a lawn bowling green, or cricket green, etc.) than a new subdivision of cookie-cutter houses.

2. Michelle D says:

An inspirational article considering the state of our country’s unemployment.
    I like Franks work model and his ‘screening’ method for potential clients.
    If I was busier with work I might have to give that vetting process a try.

3. Frank Hyman says:

You want a picture of me and my pony-tail ?

I’m looking at an old B&W pic right now that sits on the window sill–it’s old-school, meaning on paper, nothing digital here. Will have to scan it and then somehow learn the magic trick necessary to post it.

My wife can scan it at work on Monday–best I can do.

Had that pony tail for 10 years, best part was how it felt on my bare back and shoulders. Worst part was washing the thing. Women loved it tho :-)

BTW check out my story on IPM in Horticulture and my “Green Thumb” column in Urban Farm–on the stands at a locally-owned bookstore near you !

4. Frank Hyman says:

@ K.B.

Question: Do you often offer comments on posts you clearly have not read?

I mean, you certainly have a right to do exactly that….

5. K.B. says:

Frank: I was commenting on another comment that has been taken down, that was basically doing the happy dance with the thought of golfers no longer being able to golf. Of course, my comment now makes no sense, and I’ll be happy to remove it (or have it removed) if that works for you.

6. susan harris says:

KB and Frank – sorry! I deleted a comment by someone we’ve decided to kick off our blog. And that comment was a perfect example of how one flamer can disrupt the whole conversation that bloggers try so hard to create. Getting rid of people who ruin the experience is a service to our readers. That’s my rant.

7. Thanks for that, Susan.

And – great post and enjoyed Frank’s article. That is the perfect word – a “calling” since if you stray from it, it really does call you back.

8. Thank you for this piece on Frank. I’m also working at making a career out of several “hobbies” (to me, deep passions) and Frank covered it well–the risks and the fulfillment. But he did not cover the fortitude or audacity it takes to try living your life this way, and the negativity you have to deal with with some (usually jealous) people. My biggest supporters have been my closest family members (husband, children, parents)and some very, very good friends. I could not be living a life of my choosing without them.

9. Frank Hyman says:

@ K. B.

No harm, no foul.

Don’t sweat it.

And glad to hear that our GardenRant quartet don’t mind weeding out those gratuitous flamers. Thanks !

10. K.B. says:

No problem, Frank :)

11. What no more Puerto Rican with a hundred whole plants?

12. Denise says:

Frank’s NYT article somehow got by me, so thanks, Susan, for reposting it here. It’s getting emailed to my kids. Frank’s easy-going confidence is a welcome respite from the pervasive bad news on employment.