Real Gardens

A Question

Why is shovelling snow so much less enjoyable than shovelling dirt?

Posted by on January 14, 2011 at 4:08 am, in the category Real Gardens.

23 Responses to “A Question”

1. Don’t know, but I’ll take a stab at it: Shoveling dirt is in preparation for something creative that will occur, and it’s optional. Shoveling snow is just a chore that clears a sidewalk so you can walk, which is not optional.

2. It’s not. In fact, I’d rather shovel snow. I don’t have to worry about hitting large chunks of concrete that have to be dug out by hand. Okay, I admit I’m weird, I like snow shoveling.

3. shira says:

I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I was digging out the 2 foot wall of snow and ice that the town plow pushed in front of my (already shoveled) driveway. grrrrrrr!!!!

4. Foy says:

I would much rather shovel snow than mulch or compost. I don’t get outside much in the winter and snow shoveling is great exercise. Plus it’s clean. After a hot summer day of shoveling mulch I’m covered in a fine grit of dusty sweat.

Although if you live up in Buffalo, you’ve probably shoveled so much snow you don’t remember shoveling mulch. And it that case, I understand.

5. Chris Murray says:

I kind of agree with Susan’s comment. Digging in the dirt is in anticipation of something to come, the potential for future growth, a beautiful flower or bountiful crop. Shoveling snow is just in furtherance of what we are doing now, allowing us to continue to go to work, the same old routine.

6. Why is shoveling snow – nobody knows the shovelin’ I’ve done – so much more enjoyable than vacuuming dirt?

7. I really like shoveling snow, because I relish the rare opportunity to do something outside that is productive and warming in the winter. However… I have had hardly any snow to shovel this season, which might explain my still-rosy outlook.

8. Chiot's Run says:

Love shoveling snow, it’s one of the few outdoor winter activities where you can accomplish something useful while doing it. I’m always game to get exercise and get something done at the same time, for the same reason I love gardening, I love shoveling snow.

9. Eliz says:

Shoveling snow can actually be bad for you. We all know about the back strain, and the cold air constricts blood vessels, causing cardiac strain.
    Plus you can fall on the ice–the cold weather adds all kinds of unpleasant side effects.
    So we always hire someone else to do it and get our exercise other ways.

10. Layanee says:

My brother in law says “Nature put it there and Mother Nature can take it away.” My sister ends up doing all the shoveling.

11. tropaeolum says:

Like others, I generally don’t mind shoveling snow. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I finally get the whole 300 feet of driveway done.

However, when you’ve got a cairn terrier that attacks the snow shovel each time you push it forward, it can get a little ridiculous and frustrating.

12. Laura Bell says:

Same reason raking leaves is more enjoyable than vacuuming the house – shoveling dirt/mulch/compost is Gardening. Shoveling snow is just work.

13. Dee says:

If it’s going to snow more, shoveling snow is like stringing beads with no knot on the end. Shoveling dirt, well, once you shovel it, it’s done (unless you’re like me, and tend to move dirt around.) It’s also an expression of faith; spring will come, plants will grow.

14. Susan says:

It’s more enjoyable to shovel dirt because it’s usually a great deal warmer outside when you’re shoveling dirt!

15. When you shovel dirt you can still see the results of your work several months later. Snow just melts.

16. Sheila says:

Here in St. Paul, Minnesota, we have already got 50 inches of snow. We are now in the middle of another snow storm! We are so sick of shoveling! I’m ready for spring!

17. Ian Barclay says:

Shoveling snow is great because you don’t have to think about what you’re doing, and it isn’t full of rocks.

18. Love shoveling snow. I think of it as keeping me in shape for shoveling soil.

19. tibs says:

As the wife of a snowplowing man, advice for Shira: When you shovel out your drive, pile the snow only to the right (the way the plow is going.) That way when the plow comes thru, not as much snow will be pushed back in front of your drive. No city has enough drivers, plows, or time to very carefully avoid driveways and not shoot straight down your street. Unless your street is really wide and then they can windrow it down the centerline. And people who clean out their drive and pile it all in the street deserve to have them blocked.

And I like to shovel snow. But we get just enough to make it interesting.

20. Jon says:

By the time March comes around, I know that the snow I shovel will be melted soon on its own. In February, I think how this snow will be added to in March and I will think how it will be melted soon on its own. In January, I think how this snow is the base for more snow in February, followed by March snow, all of which will eventually be melted on its own.

21. Yvonne says:

Really?! Snow is clean and it’s lighter. I’ll take that over dirt anytime.

22. Benjamin says:

Use the snow to protect your plants. Think fo snow as mulch or compost.

23. Potato Queen says:

I agree with Susan T.: when you shovel dirt and mulch, you can anticipate the green to come.

On the other hand, when you shovel snow, you can make a little fort, which is also fun!