Uncategorized

Wicked Bugs: The Video

Wickedbugssm
If you want to read the book, you’re going to have to wait until May 2011. (Actually, I’m sure we’ll give away some galleys before then.  Garden bloggers, start your engines! More soon on that.)

But for now, I’m happy to share the Wicked Bugs cover and the official Wicked Bugs video!

I’m lucky to have a brother in the film industry who not only has the skills and the technology to make a video, but who also understands the difference between a book and a three-minute video. He gets all the credit for this thing; I just showed up and did what I was told.

This one was a hoot to put together.  I was sitting in front of a green screen in his childrens’ bedroom, which had been mostly emptied of its toddler beds and toy boxes for the shooting of the video.  I had a general idea of what sort of footage might be behind me in the final video, but for the most part, my job was to sit there and read off the news, which is about all I’m capable of doing in front of a camera anyway, having no idea how the whole thing would look in the end.

He gets most of the credit for the script, too. As you can imagine, for the entire weekend we walked around saying, “You ever feel a tickle up your nose?  There’s probably maggots in there.” This cracked us up, and the four year-olds in the house liked it, too.

So here it is.  I do hope you will grab the embed code and post it on your own blog, share it on Twitter and Facebook, comment on YouTube, and otherwise share the love!

Posted by on November 15, 2010 at 3:27 am, in the category Uncategorized.

21 responses to “Wicked Bugs: The Video”

1. susan harris says:

Amy, you’re too modest! Both Stewarts are clearly awesome in their talents. Those kids’ll probably catch the talent bug, too.

2. Susan says:

this is awesome- it probably is maggots!

3. Eliza says:

Hah! I love bugs… but this is making me second guess that affection. It also seems less foolish to maniacally keep flies from landing on me!

Very entertaining video. I can’t wait for the book to sit next to Wicked Plants on my shelf (a treasured possession — my boyfriend gave it to me last Christmas!)

4. Kat White says:

OMG too funny. I can hardly wait until the book comes out now. But I already am starting to feel itchy and wondering why my nose is running.

5. Brilliant video, Amy. I was immediately captivated by it, and didn’t want it to end—which doubtless will happen with the book, too!

6. Laura Bell says:

LOL ! Not a video to watch while sitting in your allergist’s office ! Which I did. Could be maggots.

Wonderful ! Can’t wait to read it.

7. Andrea says:

Brilliant, Amy! Looks like you’ve written another best-seller! Can’t wait to check it out.

8. elevine says:

Loved it! Hysterical!

9. Bob says:

That was AWFUL! I mean, that was GREAT! I mean…

Never mind, you know what I mean. And now I’m itching all over, and I hear gnawing in the walls…

10. OMG! That was fabulous! How did you keep a straight face?

11. Enjoyed your video Amy. I added it to my playlist on my site.
    Shirley

12. tibs says:

Cute. Do you have a chapter on the return of the bedbug?

13. Carol says:

I do think insects are fascinating but now I’m afraid to blow my nose or walk barefoot on a beach. And what Tibs commented – got a chapter on bedbugs? That would be excellent to read in bed — not.

14. Amy Stewart says:

Oh yes, bed bugs are in there…

15. Katie says:

Awesome! And Terrifying!

16. Amy you have a great new tag line – it just seemed perfect coming from you….”You never know…”

17. Joe Lamp'l says:

With an ever-growing appreciation for good video and production value, this video is great and so were you. I’m very impressed with all the great historical footage that fit perfectly with this theme. Kudos to you and your brother and I can’t wait for the book. Great topic! Thanks for the fun.

18. Elizabeth S. says:

Yes, but locus swarm because it’s been discovered their movement patterns are based on the fact THEY EAT EACH OTHER! And locusts are considered Kosher? Probably not after that 2008 finding!

Can’t wait to read this book!

19. Elaine says:

A fantastic video! I can’t wait for your new book to be published.

20. TWO (trembling a little because of the laughter) THUMBS UP!

21. Benjamin says:

Well, guess I’ll get rid of my books. Was thinking of a career change anyway…. And if I sneeze out a maggot, am I ok then? I’ve had strange stuff coming out lately.