Real Gardens

Got a Public Garden to Thank?

IMG_7828

We know it won’t be your top pick for the “What I’m thankful for” moment at dinner today, but at GardenRant we’re all ears on the subject of public gardens we know and love.  Mine is Brookside Gardens near me in suburban Maryland, and I hope you can see why in some photos I don’t think I’ve shared before.  If there ARE repeats it must be because I’m extra-thankful for them.

Got a public garden you’re grateful to have nearby, or even at a distance?

Greetings from the GardenRant Four
We wish you all a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving.  Also, thanks for making this so much fun!

IMG_6092

IMG_0599

That gazebo in the distance is a popular spot for weddings.

IMG_4692

IMG_7077

Posted by on November 25, 2010 at 6:14 am, in the category Real Gardens.

12 Responses to “Got a Public Garden to Thank?”

1. Chris Upton says:

I watched this garden being built; I “missed” more than a day or two of High School monitoring the construction. Over the last 40 odd years, I doubt I’ve ever gone more than three weeks without a visit. I have many wonderful memories of the garden, the plants,and the people who’ve worked there.

I’m grateful too!

2. Maddison says:

I love that you shared this with us. I like to see new things through your site. I am thankful, God has given us all of the beauty that you have shown us. I hope that everyone appreciates his nature and all that he has given us. I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.

3. Honey Sharp says:

” Let’s be grateful for those who give us happiness; they are the charming gardeners who make our soul bloom.”
    ~Marcel Proust

4. Susan says:

I am thankful for the Matthaei Botanical Garden (which is part of the University of Michigan) here in Ann Arbor. It is beautiful and staffed by wonderful people. I volunteer there with the native seed collection and propagation project. Do visit when you are in the area.

5. Barbara says:

Allan Gardens in Toronto is my top favourite followed closely by the Hillside Gardens in High Park. .

6. twolipps says:

I really like Brookside too, (in fact I wrote a recent post about it: http://www.izelplants.com/blogs/twolipps/2010/11/red-and-yellow-and-orange-oh-my/)

But I’m most thankful for the US Botanical Garden.

7. Kathy says:

I love Brookside too! I learned about native plants through the seasons walking through it every week. Still trying to get them to remove all the plants invasive to natural areas in our area- or at least label them as invasive (they finally got rid of Bradford Pears a couple of years ago after they realized they were seeding into the surrounding natural areas).
    From teh native woodland gardens to the rain garden Brookside is helping to educate the public abour beautiful sustainable gardening!
    The walk through garden of lights is always a family and friend favorite.

8. If that means or include
    a park with AESTHETIC value, NO.

Just me garden. Thank oh Lord, for my imagination and the Flora/Fauna around.

9. Go Puerto Rico, usa ! says:

Antigonum-

Maybe you should go update your own blog looks like its been awhile since you visited it. I know all your readers are waiting on edge to see what you will write next.

10. Meg S says:

Kubota Gardens in the south end of Seattle is one of my favorite places. From the website “Hidden in South Seattle, Kubota Garden is a stunning 20 acre landscape that blends Japanese garden concepts with native Northwest plants…The Gardens are a spectacular setting of hills and valleys, interlaced with streams, waterfalls, ponds, bridges, and rock out-croppings with a rich array of plant material.” It’s an amazingly peaceful place, public, and within walking distance!

11. naomi says:

I’m so glad the New Orleans Botanical Garden is doing such a fine restoration and recovery after flooding five years ago, and only wish some taxes could go to helping City Park and the Garden. The sixth largest park in the U.S. – larger than Central Park – has managed to do relatively well with no public funds since it started, and after the flood limped along with six employees, while wild boars shot from the wilds. The Mow-rons, a group of young kids formed by a then 12 or 13 year old, has spent many a weekend mowing grass (the parents have wondered how to get them to do the same at home). It’s beautiful, with the lagoons, the largest stand of mature live oaks in the world – enjoyed by many while few take responsibility for maintaining it.

12. commonweeder says:

I’m grateful for the Smith College Arboretum with its Lyman Plant House, perennial gardens, labelled trees, sytematic gardens, the stroll around Paradise Pond, not to mention the Bulb Show in the spring and Chrysanthemum show in the fall. Smith is the closest public garden, but I’m also grateful for the Berkshire Botanical Garden, and Tower Hill. Hooray for all public gardens that inspire and educate.