Eat This

Ten Things I’m Grateful For

1. Tolerance from my family.  I spend a lot of time growing food, cooking food, and talking about food. While my husband and children do let me know how bored they are by my obsessions, often while helping themselves to seconds at dinner, they don't really stand in my way.  Which they could.
  2. The Lake Avenue School Garden Club. If I were running this group alone, I'd have had the kids grow the vegetables and send them home with sacks full of them.  But my partner in this endeavor, who is in the process of becoming a science teacher, had the crazy idea that it was possible to cook with 18 kids.  So now we cook what we grow.  The food is amazing–imagine 20 people chopping at once–the excitement is irresistible.
  3. My country neighbors Rick and Martha.  He not only raises amazing pork, lamb, and chicken to complement my vegetables, he gives me fertile eggs when I want to hatch chicks–and then takes the roosters back when they turn out to be roosters, so I don't drive my city neighbors crazy.  Martha is the best and most scholarly cook I know.  Answers all food questions.  Tries interesting things in her garden. Willing to talk food with me, unlike some of the above.
  4. Rodale Books, for letting me say what I wanted to say about gardening. Coming soon to a book store near you.
  5. My dog Henry.  Without Henry, outdoor time would be limited to my beautiful garden.  Henry makes me take him for walks in the woods.  We see animals like martens.  We are thrilled.
  6. Seed catalogs. Someday, maybe I'll trek the Himalayas. Right now, seed purveyors offer adventure enough.
  7. The Garden ProfessorsLove them for their skepticism and for forking all the bullshit advice in gardening onto the compost pile.
  8. Battenkill Valley Creamery. Their cream–no weird stuff added and just check the label on your supermarket cream if you want to know the difference–is so incredible, that I find myself cooking custard dishes so perfect, they are glassy.
  9. Anyone willing to deliver 30 yards of mulch.  I'm struggling to find a source for wood chips in the country.  I think I need to have a conversation with the nice young logger who keeps eyeing my place.
  10. Garden Rant.  Love my partners, love the amazing opinionated people who take the trouble to comment here.

Posted by on November 26, 2010 at 4:14 am, in the category Eat This.

11 Responses to “Ten Things I’m Grateful For”

1. Love, sex, commiseration, pity and misery loves companion.

As a misanthropist I disagree with everything you have stated, only Flora/Fauna, air, food, a roof, water and space really matter.

2. Michele try calling your utility company and ask who keeps the lines cleaned of trees and get their number.

My parsnips were a big hit at dinner yesterday.

3. Nancy says:

Michele-I don’t post often, but am so thankful for Garden Rant! Since discovering it last year, it is one of the first things I check on my computer every day. It is always entertaining and I have learned so much from all of you. Because of Rant, I attended Buffalo Garden Walk this year and met Elizabeth and Art. Felt like I was meeting big time celebrities!

4. Susan says:

It is nice that you are thankful for so many things. I am thankful that God is the one who makes all things possible and I know that he is working through you to give us all of this great information that you share with us on your site. I hope that you will continue because I really enjoy reading it.

5. susan harris says:

I’m thankful for my Rant sisters, too, and for Rodale for publishing Grow the Good Life, which I devoured quickly and looooooved.

So, I’m also thankful for your passionate, informed and highly opinionated writing.

6. Jane Trueblood says:

Thank you, Goddess, for Garden Rant! I adore each and every contributor and look forward every day to the new postings. (Couldn’t you post a guest rant or reprint an article on Sundays? I can’t start my day properly without Garden Rant.)

Thanks especially for speaking out on behalf of us less-than-perfect gardeners. That old unattainable Martha Stewart standard was spoiling my fun.

7. Susan D. says:

I’m thankful that I found your blog. As a beginning blogger I appreciate the content and the form. I will now have mentors in this process. If interested mine is sogoodwithwords.blogspot.com and on it I have an article on why I love my high-maintenance yard and one on gratitude “training.” So thank you again. I look forward to regularly checking in. Cheers

8. meemsnyc says:

Thanks a wonderful list to be thankful for. I want a neighbor like yours!

9. commonweeder says:

Michele – this is a wonderful list. I’m grateful for our our town which had all the woodchips from roadside maintenance dumped into public piles. I have to do the shifting, but the plentiful woodchips are free. I can’t wait for the book. Any chance for an invite to Saratoga and an interview for my column?

10. commonweeder says:

Michele, Lots of gratitude there. I’m grateful to our town for making public piles of woodchips. The road crew has to dump chips from roadside maintenance somewhere – and they are free to everyone in town. I can’t wait for the book. Can I get an invitation to Saratoga for an interview for my column?

11. Michele Owens says:

Any time, Pat. Love to have you!