Garden Rant Cocktail Hour

GardenRant Cocktail Hour: Hot Toddies

Badge_CocktailHour

In which Elizabeth broadcasts live from her bulb bunker and Amy drinks from a Pyrex measuring cup for lack of more suitable barware.

Here's Elizabeth's hot toddy recipe:

Bourbon hot toddy

2 parts hot lemon mix  (using 2 cups water, 1/4 cup sugar rubbed with lemon peel, juice of 2 lemons, boiled until dissolved)

1 part American Honey (from makers of Wild Turkey bourbon)

Pour into heavy rocks glass

(Ed:  Weirdly, there seems to be no website devoted to American Honey, so we send you to BevMo instead.)

And here's Amy's hot apple cider toddy:

Half a mug of hot, mulled apple cider

A jigger (1.5 oz) of apple brandy, applejack, or Calvados.  Amy used Harvest Spirits Hudson Valley Apple Brandy.

A pony (1 oz, or .75 oz will do) Drambuie.

A splash of something fabulous, like Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur or St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram.

Garnish with a slice of apple.

Okay, here's your cocktail hour!  (See more cocktail hours here.)

Posted by on November 18, 2010 at 4:13 am, in the category Garden Rant Cocktail Hour.

6 Responses to “GardenRant Cocktail Hour: Hot Toddies”

1. Marte says:

Sorry, no rude comments! Just enjoyed it a lot! Amy, I love your demonstration of a “splash” and Elizabeth, I envy you your root cellar.

2. Karen says:

I love the ginger liqueur Amy used in the apple cider toddy. Try dipping pieces of ginger cookies in a shot glass of the liqueur. Yum!

3. Woo says:

Who’s sick of talking about bulbs??? Not me! Plus I love that you enjoy spending time in your cellar! I guess that makes me a bit odd….

4. Carol says:

What do you mean “Elizabeth is going to become the crazy bulb lady”? Elizabeth IS the crazy bulb lady and she should continue to write about them. No one does bulbs quite like Elizabeth does.

5. MA says:

this gives new meaning to “pony up.” Gotta find myself some of the St. E dram.

6. Drinking from a glass measuring cup with a paring knife as a stirrer. And a bulb-hoarder drinking in a dungeon. Awesomeness.