Eat This

Best Possible Excuse for Ruining Your Figure

IMG_3459
'Pineapple' tomato: My favorite form of waistline suicide

Drizzle a shallow pan with olive oil.  Cut ripe tomatoes in half and place them on the pan, cut side down.  Sprinkle with salt.

Roast in 400 degree oven until the skins are slightly brown, about half an hour.  Let the tomatoes cool and pull off the tomato skins.  Either pour off the liquid, or lift the tomatoes out of it.

Saute far too much garlic in far too much extra virgin olive oil.  Add tomatoes and allow to dissolve and bubble.  Add fresh rosemary and cook for another few minutes.  Add salt to taste.  Add a bit more olive oil just at the end.

Pour over pasta and grate parmesan or pecorino romano (my favorite) over everything.

Resign yourself to eating WAY more than you should.  Tomato season is short and winter will be long indeed.

Posted by on September 24, 2010 at 6:36 am, in the category Eat This.

21 Responses to “Best Possible Excuse for Ruining Your Figure”

1. shira says:

Time to pull out the elastic waist band pants…

2. Love it. Gotta take advantage of the tomatoes will you can. I think this is definitely worthy of me ruining my figure ;-)

3. Have you ever tried to freeze the tomatoes like this? Thanks for the recipe. I’m going to post a link on my blog. Hope you don’t mind. http://www.amysoddities.blogpsot.com

4. John says:

Never underestimate the power of a roasted tomato.

Somewhere I saw a similar recipe for roasted Sun Gold cherry tom’s. Simple simple simple, anyone can do it and oh so yummy.

My only problem is that this summer the NC piedmont has turned into Phoenix AZ; no rain = no tomatoes. waaaaaaaaaa

5. Laura Bell says:

Roasted tomatoes on pasta would still be better for your shape than pasta alfredo. Lots of ‘good’ fats & vitamins, too.

My tomato crop bombed this year – looks like I’ll have to visit the farmer’s market in the morning.

6. Unbelievably good. I made some this year and ate them on crackers. Yum.

7. Tibs says:

Nah, this is healthy compared to the other tomato passion: The BLT. Bacon. Mayo. Globs of Mayo. White toast. (This is the only time I prefere white to whole grain.) We consume more bacon during tomato season than all the rest of the year combined, and doubled.

There ought to be a statue erected on every town square to whoever came up with the BLT.

I think you posted this recipe last year, becaues I have been making it (with fresh basil, not rosemary.) And amazingly enough, the spouse likes it! He is a heavy duty sauce with meat and lots of it type of guy. I have tried variation with hot peppers, shrimp, Italian Sausage( for the meat lover). All tasty.

And I do freeze it.

8. Michele Owens says:

Tibs, I’m tedious, I know. But I suspect I will keep posting this recipe until I’m dead, I like to it so much.

It freezes really well…certainly better than anything you can make from canned tomatoes. But it loses a bit of its edge in the process.

9. MiSchelle says:

Tibs, I couldn’t agree with you more. We just had BLT’s for dinner last night to take advantage of our tasty Pruden’s Purple tomatoes, have had them once a week since the toms started ripening, and will enjoy them weekly until hard frost. Even less figure flattering? Add sliced avocado to the mix – heaven!!

10. Kaviani says:

I don’t know what you’re talking about “waistline suicide” – this works deliciously and perfectly for my diet.

11. Abby says:

Try this with guilt-free spaghetti squash instead of pasta – mmmm!

12. Vicky Gorny says:

What? No basil?

13. Alice says:

You are making my mouth water and I will not be having dinner for another six hours. I can not wait to try it. I think that I will a little lemon and lime juice with it, too.

14. Michele Owens says:

Vicky, I like basil in this, but I LOVE the piney flavor of rosemary with the sweet tomatoes.

15. Woo says:

you’ve just saved me from having to boil my tomatoes to get the skin off. this is a much better way and sounds far tastier!

16. PermieWriter says:

I put up a couple of gallons of tomatoes last year using this roasting method, but roasted cut side up then run through a food mill then put in mason jars and frozen (some with roasted garlic paste). We grew a Costaluca Genovese, which made for a wonderful, rich spicy sauce. But mostly we used dry farmed Early Girls, which really turned out too sweet.

Next year I need to grow as many Costaluca Genovese as possible because I never see them at the farm market.

17. Henny Penny says:

Anything with “far too much” garlic and oil, and I’m there!

18. Oh yum! Sounds heavenly!

~Aubree Cherie

19. Oh, my! I am drooling already. And, yes, this is why elastic waist pants were invented.

20. Gardener says:

Here’s a shortcut I learned in the Netscape/CompuServe Garden Forum. It saves a pan and some hassle. Drizzle olive oil in a baking pan and spread to coat pan. Cover with fresh basil leaves and chopped garlic. Place the tomato halves cut side down on top of the basil and garlic. Bake at 350 until the tomatoes are soft. Cool slightly so that you can peel off the skins. Enjoy by itself or over pasta, or buzz through a food processor for sauce.