Unusually Clever People

Vinny Simeone on Rose Care and Travels with Allan Armitage

Planting
Fields Arboretum State Historic Park
in Oyster Bay, NY is worth at least one more post here, especially to introduce its director, Vinnie Simeone.  Here he is looking mighty happy with some of his many roses (which he sprays twice in spring with Neem oil, and that's it.)  For
more about Planting Fields, I'll just refer you to a recent profile in the NY Times, about this Flowery Legacy of a Gilded Age.

IMG_8934

IMG_8926

IMG_8945

IMG_8927

Should Ugly be Preserved?
Okay, that's a provocative header but really, who could love the newly restored fountains in the pool above?  Dare I suggest – only people living that gilded age of aping everything glitzy and kinda Italian.

Travels with Allan
But a bit more about Vinnie. In addition to his hort duties, he's written four books, a feat I admire, but what I ENVY are his duties as co-tour leader of Garden Vistas, with none other than Allan Armitage.  Here's what Vinnie wrote me about that:

I have been traveling with Allan Armitage and a
group of garden enthusiasts since 1998.  We have visited England,
Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, East and West sides of Canada,
New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and North and Southeastern US. We visit
both private and public gardens and many interesting people along the way. We
teach and also learn a lot about horticulture and see many exotic plants,
animals and places.

Now if we could just get a guest post from Vinnie about those travels.  Got stories?

Posted by on August 1, 2010 at 3:56 am, in the category Unusually Clever People.

10 Responses to “Vinny Simeone on Rose Care and Travels with Allan Armitage”

1. suzy says:

Actually, the Italian fountains were not part of the gilded age. The swimming pool was redesigned recently and the fountains were added. Personally, I think it was a mistake and it takes away from the beauty of the garden.

2. meemsnyc says:

We love Oyster Bay, NY. Almost considered buying a house there. I’ll have to see that Aboretum in person!

3. suzy says:

Vinnie has done an amazing job restoring Planting fields and adding the beautiful rose garden. Planting Fields has to rely on state money and not a lot staff. My hat goes off to him and all he has done.

4. Donna says:

He has a beauty of a place. I am sure that it smells as sweet.

5. Jane says:

This is nothing like I pictured NY to be like. It is beautiful.

6. Beautiful evergreens. I miss conifers!

7. Kate says:

Vinnie Simeone has done a great job with the rose garden at Planting Fields. I could spend hours just meandering through that place. I actually mentioned him in my blog post on Knockout Roses last week. He taught at Farmingdale College a few years ago.

8. Suzy says:

Now I know the secret to great roses. I have not been spraying them. Mine are having a hard time of it. I hope for the best.

9. Elizabeth S. says:

Leave the ugly fountain. If we destroyed everything when it went out of fashion there would be no more Victorian or Art Deco gardens. Leave it for a historical purpose of understanding the aesthetic for the time it was built.

10. Vinnie says:

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments. Actually, the pool was never meant to swim in and was only used for ornament. When we restored it a few years ago, it was kept virtually the same as it was in 1920.The tile, fountains, statues, everything is the same you would see in the old mattie hewitt photos. I don’t consider the Italian Garden a traditional one, more like an Italian pool with an American garden with a english influence. The shrub roses were our creation about 10 years ago. There are many good ones including carpet, knockout, carefree, austin, mediland and oso-easy.