Uncategorized

Will it fit into an overhead luggage compartment?

Big pots
It was super-fun attending the Independent Garden Center show.  Any event that involves my partners is ipso facto fun, but I loved getting to look at stuff thousands of vendors were trying to sell here.

Of particular interest were the many absolutely spectacular pots.  My biggest complaint about garden decor is that it's all too dinky–too dinky if you order it by catalog, too dinky if you try to buy it in a garden center.

This is clearly about the expense of shipping–and the doubts and tastes of the merchants in this world.  Because the manufacturers…well, THEY are just ballsy.

I particularly loved the pots produced by a company called Anamese, particularly their Aegean Collection, which all looks a two thousand years old and yet is designed to withstand even rough winters outdoors…a huge issue in my part of the world, where even the biggest clay pots generally need to be emptied and lugged inside.

Anchara

I also loved this rain barrel by another manufacturer.  Much nicer than Gardener's Supply plastic!

Rainbarrell
I would have lugged a few home, if I could, but these are wholesalers selling by the pallet load.  So all I can do is drop a hint: independent garden centers, if you stock it, I will buy it.

Posted by on August 20, 2010 at 4:30 am, in the category Uncategorized.

15 responses to “Will it fit into an overhead luggage compartment?”

1. greg draiss says:

The show was wonderful. Unfortunately did not get to your talk on Thursday as it would have cut too close to my plane leaving.
    We are importing container loads of these great pots next year.

2. Michele Owens says:

Greg, glad to hear about the pots! And I was disappointed not to meet you. Maybe next year? I certainly enjoyed myself enough to angle for another invitation.

3. Susan says:

my jaw dropped when I saw the rain barrel- wow! I probably can’t afford it, though, even if Gulley’s did stock it.

4. Hi Michelle,
    There’s no way plastic will ever compete with the beauty of those rustic urns and that amazing ceramic rain barrel. Wow! The rain barrels we sell here at Gardener’s Supply ARE made of plastic, but it’s recycled plastic. They won’t break in transit (or over the winter) and they do make it easy to collect rainwater at an affordable price.

5. Laura Bell says:

Love them all. Hope I find the Anamese pots at one of my IGCs soon – I could really use a few of those in my shade garden.

6. Agreed with Kathy L’s comments – also wondering how that ceramic will weather our Mid-Atlantic winters — freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw. Would NOT wanted a cracked and broken water barrel, heart-breaking.

7. commonweeder says:

I love the look of those big pots, but moving them out of the winter zeros is too much for me at this stage of life. I’m thinking more about arrangments of smaller pots with really interesting plants.

8. Deirdre says:

Big pots are readily available in the independent garden stores in the Seattle area, but they are VERY expensive.

9. I was also drooling over some of those containers, but I took the train in to the IGC. The alternative material/plastic pots look so much better than they used to, making them all the more tempting.

10. Michelle D says:

Big post are readily available throughout California and are very inexpensive when you consider the cost of clay and the amount of gas that is required to fire them twice.
    Most people have no idea what kind of labor , materials and energy costs go into making even a small pot let alone a pot of substantial size.

11. greg draiss says:

Michelle D: you mean you would not have thrown me into a TROLL TRAP and dropped me in Lake Michigan?

The TROLL

12. greg draiss says:

The trick to getting large pots like these at an IGC is to buy from those that direct import them. I am direct importing pottery for 2011. The savings for me are 30-40% off regular catalog price. We plan to pass on some of the savings with an early spring sale. Many of the large pots you will not find in the east coast due to the economy. Even with the big savings the lack of construction and consumer hold backs has killed the big pot biz for now.

THE TROLL

13. Marie Tulin says:

From an east coaster: January sales at the largest IGC in the state had phenomenal bargains on Big Pots. $600 dollar Thai pots down to $175; and others in the 200 range down to 50 or 75. There was a buzz Garden Web from garden shoppers about which location to visit and where some beauties were “hidden.” It was one of the more exciting winter-in-New England threads I’ve seen.
    All I can extrapolate from this, besides a fond memory, is that I may have been the beneficiary of a bad economy, shop locally and chase for a bargain is always a thrill.
    I also love the new “real” winterproof “pottery” but it is still full price most places!

Marie

14. Ali M says:

On a friend’s recommendation I stopped at a chain store called Garden Ridge while visiting in Charlotte, NC. This place had the tackiest of tacky stuff but they also had an amazing selection of the heavy ceramic pots made in Viet Nam. I think they were seconds, some of them had small imperfections but nothing was over $100 and that was for the tall pots around 4′. I bought several 20″to 24″ pots for $39.95. My friend told me many of them are now on half price as the season comes to an end and they want to bring out the holiday stuff.

Years ago an importer told me that the Viet Nam pots were fired to a high enough temperature that they could withstand temperature fluctuations. Have no idea if that is true or not……

Maybe if several IGC’s in a community got together for a group purchase the prices would come down.

15. greg draiss says:

Viet Nam makes the heavier glazed pots compared to China and Malaysia. Those are not imperfections. Viet Nam quality is not quite up to Malaysia yet. However they do colors better than the Malaysians. China has the best quality glazed ceramic but also the higher prices to boot. I have spent the whole summer putting together our pottery program for 2011. Malaysia and China are getting my coins for spring. Should import 4 containers in 2011 and six to eight by 2012

The TROLL