Real Gardens

The Garden of Landcraft’s Dennis Schrader

IMG_9020
Landcraft is a Long Island nursery specializing in tropical and green roof plants, and it's the baby of a very cool guy named Dennis Schrader.  And beyond cool is the back garden of his and partner Bill Smith's home next door, images of which you see here from my visit in early June.  To die for.

IMG_9014

IMG_9030

IMG_9011

IMG_9033

In this last shot you can just make out – what's this? – a lawn between the house and the larger prairie-with-shrubs-type garden.  Nice segue from the built environment to what looks like wildness but is every bit a garden.

See more photos of the garden here.  Posted by Susan (mistakenly as Gardenrant).

Posted by on July 24, 2010 at 5:02 am, in the category Real Gardens.

8 Responses to “The Garden of Landcraft’s Dennis Schrader”

1. I love the structure in the 1st photo (don’t know what to call it). I’m a fan of the wildness juxtaposed with lawn look. It looks great in June, but I bet it’s even better in fall.

2. They are so cool on Long Island. I wish some of that would migrate to the other side of the Hudson where these types of gardens are few and far between.

3. Mimi says:

Wow! That looks soo cool!

4. Boredwithlawns says:

Gardeners should check out the North Shore of Chicago, where lawns and evergreen shrubs rule the landscape and where the garden is scrubbed clean every fall (no stone unturned literally). That garden albeit beautiful would never do here!!!!

5. Patrick says:

Beautiful to see gardens like this in New York, So much Zone pushing. Bravo!

6. greg draiss says:

And no one is trashing their lawn. Through what bluegrass tinted glasses do we view such turf?

The TROLL

7. Susan Reimer says:

Seeing other people’s gardens — especially as grand as this one — makes me feel jealous and greedy all at once.

8. suzy says:

I visit Landcraft gardens often to buy plants and I have seen many butterflies, ladybugs and other less desireable insects. Dennis is very concerned about the insects. I suspect that when a hundred people tour a garden the insects run for cover.