Uncategorized

“Look at that monarda fer chrissakes.”

Overheard during Buffa10.

"Look at that monarda fer chrissakes."

Posted by on July 9, 2010 at 7:22 am, in the category Uncategorized.

15 responses to ““Look at that monarda fer chrissakes.””

1. Denies says:

Gorgeous. Raspberry Wine?

2. UrsulaV says:

*sob* Why does mine never look like that…?

3. rainymountain says:

Pretty spectacular!

4. Kaviani says:

I’m jealous.

I feel your sorrow, Denies. I managed to keep only 2 scraggly plants alive until they went to seed, and they looked miserable.

5. Sheila says:

I’ve been noticing that the Raspberry Wine Monarda in the Twin Cities area are looking spectacular this year despite all the rain we’ve been having.

6. Jen says:

Ours was awesome last year. Full of flowers and hummingbirds.

This year? 3 straggly stems.

7. It was HUGE and no powdery mildew. A wowsome for sure.~~Dee

8. carpetbag_garden says:

What the gardener isn’t telling you is that she has to pull it out by the bucket full as it keeps eating her other nearby plants.

It is beautiful, though. I’m glad she gave it ample room to show off.

9. Karen says:

I grow ‘Raspberry Wine’ monarda in my garden several hours north of the Twin Cities — it never disappoints and always catches the attention of visitors.

10. sara says:

I’ve been kicking myself for not getting seeds for monarda since the spring…

I used to make so many bees happy with it a few years ago. And it wintered over so nicely in Berkeley.

11. Judy says:

These make summer worth while. I love flowers of any kind. Thanks for sharing this photo.

12. Li'l Ned says:

I’m not sure how every monarda I’ver ever grown has managed to become covered with mildew in my desert climate, but they have. And somehow, they also never die either, so the droopy, powder-covered plants live on, appearing in the middle of nearby (better-looking) plantings. Augh!

13. Bethany says:

That is one heck of a plant.

14. MiSchelle says:

Li’l Ned and Sheila, after several years observance I have come to the realization that Monarda does best in a moist environment. I actually get more powdery mildew, even on Raspberry Wine which is touted as resistant, during hot dry spells than during cooler rainy summers. It seems like it would be the opposite though, doesn’t it?

15. I sowed Monarda seeds last year, and planted out the seedlings last Autumn, – the plants are now budding up, – hope they look 1/2 as good as these.