It's the Plants, Darling

File Under “Fantastic Plant”

IMG_3360

This is allium senescens.  I bought it unlabeled at a plant sale four or five years ago and have since divided it up and placed it in every impossible spot in my yard–sunny spots in my super-sandy soil that are drained to a crisp by large trees.

No complaints, ever.  This is not a bulbous allium, but a clump-former that's best divided with a shovel. The flowers are numerous but by no means spectacular, in a ghostly purple-white color.  However, the strappy foliage and round shape of the plant are just nifty, offering crisp contrast to everything else in my borders.

Posted by on July 30, 2010 at 8:02 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

17 Responses to “File Under “Fantastic Plant””

1. Elizabeth S. says:

Oh how cute! Anemic agapanthus!

2. Michele Owens says:

Alas, those won’t grow in the Northeast.

3. greg draiss says:

Many alliums are great for the upper Hudson valley climate. One of my favorites especially the smaller “drumstick” dwarf varieties.

The TROLL

4. Pat T says:

I looked at your blog as I do every morning and
    lo and behold , I see the plant that I have growing
    in my garden that just showed up! I figured
    it was some sort of an allium and it must have
    been mixed in with some drumstick allium I
    ordered from a nursery. Thanks for the identification!
    Love the plant and love happy accidents in the
    garden!

5. NoCal native gardener says:

Had me scared for a minute – thought you were praising the dreaded Agapanthus, cliché landscape plant and freeway denizen that assaults my sensibilities everywhere in CA.

6. Kaviani says:

I think the flowers are cute! Understated, but still attractive.

7. Mimi says:

Oooh, I love allium, and this one looks awesome!

8. Donna says:

This would be beautiful at my lake house. I was looking for something that will look great by the lake yet, allow use to enjoy the flowers. I love the dark green leaves, too.

9. Rhonda says:

I just posted a “Name this Plant” request on my blog and then strolled by the Garden Rant. Lo and behold, spooky! http://www.thegardenbuzz.com/2010/07/name-that-allium-plant-id-help-please.html

10. Betsy says:

I too bought this at a plant sale (Boston suburb)and it was labeled “Siberian Chives”.

11. Stacy says:

You always have a wealth of information to share. I really like your site.

12. Joan says:

This reminds me of the monkey grass that grew in my grandmothers yard. I always liked it.

13. Karen says:

You might think that people can grow anything in their yards. This is not so, I must have the brownest thumb of all because I can not get anything to stay alive. I have been reading books and books about it, maybe this will help. I would love for my place to look like yours.

14. Larry says:

I would buy this from a garage sale if I saw some there. I think it is very nice. It is so healthy looking.

15. This allium showed up in my garden too, and I’m glad I didn’t weed it out. I really like it and plan to divide it and move it into another garden bed where it would fit very well. Thanks to your post, at last I know which allium it is.

16. Alex says:

You have a great green thumb. I would like my house to have these kinds of plants in my yard. They look nice.

17. SHCTammie says:

I know I’m going to be in the minority here but this plant is driving me nuts. I’m ready to pull mine up. Everything hides under the leaves. Every time i go to water or do anything close some creature pops out and gives me a scare.