Uncategorized

Pretty!

Here are two of the prettiest vegetables I've ever planted.

A crimson flowered fava bean from Thompson & Morgan…

IMG_3323

And a blue-podded soup pea from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds…

IMG_3326

Considering how many of the best-looking perennials in the vegetable garden are legumes, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Posted by on June 11, 2010 at 2:30 am, in the category Uncategorized.

8 responses to “Pretty!”

1. Tara Dillard says:

Top pic says so much. Your wire at the bottom of the wood picket fence.

You have the same problem the Queen Mother had at Glamis Castle. She had wire keeping critters out too.

From royal to peasant, gardeners connect easily without distinctions.

And you’re right, those flowers are fabulous.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

2. Kate says:

How pretty…makes me want to expand past my boring old sugar snap peas…although I love the way my grape vine climbs up and winds around its trellis.
    @ Tara, beautifully said! My favorite thing about gardening is that it truly is a great equalizer. You don’t need a lot of money or space to get started…with a little water and care, things grow just the same in a container garden in Brooklyn as they do at an oceanside villa.

3. Michele Owens says:

Tara, gardeners are all alike. Socioeconomic distinctions are meaningless compared to the sense of the miraculous we all recognize in each other–not to mention, the extreme outrage universal among gardeners at what a trio of fat groundhogs can do to a vegetable garden.

I nailed that cage wire to my picket fence on my belly in the wet spring mud–after having dug the trench in heavy clay. It was worth the trouble.

4. angelchrome says:

The fava bean is nice! Too bad I don’t eat them.

5. Pam says:

I can’t believe I’m the first one to ask if you’ll be having Chianti with those Fava beans. :) They are very pretty. I’m late getting any beans started this year, but do plan to eventually. Maybe I should check those out.

6. sara says:

Favas totally rock. I’m on my second wave of these. Tarahumara purple, from the nice people at Native Seeds in AZ. I lucked out this year and have so many lacewing and ladybugs in the yard that pests haven’t been a problem.

I’m so stoked about fava that I’m going to cover-crop the whole yard with them late fall, in fact. They just need a little support since they are fond of tillering.

And you can eat the tender top leaves in soups.

7. commonweeder says:

If only I liked fava beans or pea soup. The plants are beautiful. I want to try cardoons for the foliage – but I don’t know if I will like eating them. A neighbor gave me artichoke starts which were beautiful, but they never fruited.

8. sara says:

commonweeder, what’s your climate like? Artichokes can winter over, and you might not see fruit for a year. That’s how mine behaved in CA this year. Fruit on last year’s chokes.