Shut Up and Dig

On-deck watering, another update

AAAMayOh, I whined about having to lug water to the deck to keep the veg garden going, but this year that problem is GONE.  In its place there's a crimp-proof garden hose that's fed from the spigot below through a hole drilled in the deck. It's turned on and ready to go all the time, with no leaking.  Brilliant!  Watering the pots you saw in the last post takes all of five minutes now.

Posted by on June 19, 2010 at 9:39 am, in the category Shut Up and Dig.

14 responses to “On-deck watering, another update”

1. Mimi says:

Sweet! Nice solution!

2. sara says:

Jealous! Very nice. We still do not have our soaker hoses set up properly. It’s been three weeks of lugging watering cans…

3. MAYBELLINE says:

Crimp proof hose?! I do not believe it. There is no such thing. Furthermore, every hose I’ve ever operated gets tangled, kinked, or runs out just when I’m approaching the area that I need water.

I do not believe it.

4. susan harris says:

Maybelline, have you tried a crimp-proof hose? Cost about 6 bucks extra and work like a charm. I have several.

5. Another solution is rain barrels on the deck. Even barrels placed out in the open will collect some rain, but ours are placed at “creases” in the roof, and fill up quickly. Then we dip our watering can in, and fill up the self-watering pots – much faster than standing around and watering with the hose sprayer. We also have a curly, no-kink hose (hooked up to a tap we installed under a bathroom sink on the same floor as the deck), but I find I use it mostly to fill the rain barrels when we’ve had a dry spell, then do the watering from the barrels.

6. Wherever a hose reaches, a drip irrigation system reaches. Put a $20 battery operated timer on your faucet, connect the drip line directly to that, and add the drippers.

Time spent watering goes down from 5 minutes to zero…

7. Hap says:

A good solution, I just hope you installed a “lead-free, drinking water safe hose” since you will be leaving it on & under pressure so there is time for chemical leaching and you will be using it to water food crops. Most vinyl and rubber hoses on the market have shocking ingredients and scary MSDS data and are not meant for potable water. I have always felt if they are not safe to drink from, they are not really safe to water my food crops.

8. Hap — Easy solution to that, though not very green…let the water run for a bit before you water the food crops. I do that anyway to get the hot water out of the hose so I don’t scald my plants.

9. Tee Riddle says:

That’s a great idea! For some containers I recycle a few one liter soda bottles. Drill a few holes in the lid, cut the bottle in half, then bury it upside down a few inches from the plant. The bottle can then be filled with water and it drips out directly to the plant roots.

It can save the need for dragging a hose around as much. When you do need the hose you idea is brilliant!

10. Kate says:

Oh, I’m so envious of your watering system! We have rain barrels, but we’re not quite there on the irrigation system yet. It takes me forever to lug the watering cans, and I hate it. For delicious homegrown vegetables, though, I’ll do what I need to until we get our system set up. The only problem is our garden is slightly uphill from where the rain barrels are right now.

11. Anonymous Coward says:

It’s just a hole and a hose, geez.

12. Kenneth Salstrom says:

When it’s hot the pressure in a hose can increase to the point where it splits the hose. It happened to me. Luckily I had it turned off at the faucet so I didn’t get a flood or a huge water bill.

13. Emily Levine says:

Be careful about leaving the hose “on” all the time. Especially if you go out of town, turn it off. The same reason you should turn off the taps on your washing machine between laundry times. Not worth a busted hose.
    Thirty years experience and I buy only Gilmore Flexogen hoses.

14. Michelle says:

We have exploded several hoses by leaving them on all the time. Use caution, especially when leaving for the day or longer.